Core i7 a new review with bechmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could get about 9-10 Phenom 9850's for the price of an i7 extreme 965

Same thing could be said if you replace 9850 for Q6600 or E8400

But you are here comparing the processors alone and you are not comparing the price of whole system build. Each of those 9-10 phenom need a motherboard, video card and PSU etc to work, which will cost much more than one Core i7 extreme build

Furthermore, The extreme model is made for those who build high-end computer which cost around $4000-$5000. Extreme model offers better value for money at those ranges. For example, if you build a whole computer with the Core i7 Exreme build that cost $5000, then getting an AMD/Phenom build instead with the same parts would save you around $1000, which is 20% of 5000, But that would reduce the performance of that computer build by much more than %20

You can still get non-extreme Core i7 or Core 2 Quad if you don't have that high budget.

and 9-10 phenom's would have more power

Thats if you are running an application that can utilize all of those CPUs

And like what I said a complete 9-10 Phenom builds would cost much more. You need to buy motherboard, PSU, case, video card for each Phenom

the Aussie dollar was around 0.95 USD earlier this year.

LOL look at it now 0.67.US/Dollar
Stupid banks going down cause of people who can repay their owned money.

IS x58 the only MB that's gonna support 1377 out there?(till the end of the year?)
cause i really don't want a Xtreme Motherboard that is gonna cost crap loads of money T.T mid range would be fine with me

IS x58 the only MB that's gonna support 1377 out there?(till the end of the year?)

Yes, I think it will be the only motherboard that will support LGA 1366

The mainstream motherboard for Core i7 will use socket LGA 1066 which is not compatible with the current Core i7

So, if want a cheaper non-xtreme motherboard, then you have to wait for LGA 1066-based Core i7 processors which probably be out at Q2 2009

Core i7 920 ~= $620 AUD
x58 motherboard ~= $500 AUD
3GB triple channel DDR3 (DDR3-1333) ~= $265 AUD

You could get about 9-10 Phenom 9850's for the price of an i7 extreme 965
and 9-10 phenom's would have more power, too.

First your pricing is way off. The 920 does not cost $405 usd, I don't know what tarrifs you have in Australia, but I find it hard to believe that a processor cost almost twice what it does here. It cost $285. Also That is an unfair comparison of prices. 9 cpus wont do you any good if you don't buy the rest of the machine. How about we compare the price and performance of building an i7 rig and a Phenom X4 rig.

Core i7 is almost twice as fast as your best Phenom. And yes the cost for Core i7 is high, but the 920 is faster and cheaper than some Core2 Quads.

image.php

image.php

image.php

inthebuttgk6.gif

Same thing could be said if you replace 9850 for Q6600 or E8400
Yeah, I know.
I was making a point that i7 is expensive.

But you are here comparing the processors alone and you are not comparing the price of whole system build.
If you consider the whole system, it's still not looking so good. It costs heaps for an x58 board, and you need DDR3.

At least with Phenom's, you can go for a 780G + 2GB DDR2 or something.
First your pricing is way off. The 920 does not cost $405 usd, I don't know what tarrifs you have in Australia, but I find it hard to believe that a processor cost almost twice what it does here.
oh, ffs. Find out for yourself.
staticice.com.au
yes, they really are that expensive here.

Yeah, I know.
I was making a point that i7 is expensive.

If you consider the whole system, it's still not looking so good. It costs heaps for an x58 board, and you need DDR3.

At least with Phenom's, you can go for a 780G + 2GB DDR2 or something.
oh, ffs. Find out for yourself.
staticice.com.au
yes, they really are that expensive here.

Ya I can't afford that... I don't have $1000 to spend on a CPU, Mobo and RAM.. <$1000 is usually my budget!

I'd say if your a cheapskate like me, Phenom + this 780g(Newegg.com - ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards) or e8500/q9xxx + Biostar TP45HP 4 life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom