Connection Issues..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
Ok, so my dlink router died on me and I've gone back to a linksys one. Everything works great, except my 2 pc's. HTPC is connected on the lan, and my laptop is connected over wifi. this has only started to happen today, but what happens is I can have my HTPC connected, but not my laptop. As soon as I connect my laptop the HTPC can't connect to the internet, and I have to disable the wifi and do a release/renew to get the HTPC working again.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It's quite annoying....

I'd take a look at the dhcp settings for your wired/wireless connections on the linksys. If you've defined two seperate dhcp pools and given them the same ip ranges to work with, then connecting the laptop wouldn't be so good for your pc. I mean technically it should be fine, but there's always the possibility especially considering it's an older router.
Do the pc and laptop get assigned the same addresses?

If that's not the problem it might be worth posting screenshots of your linksys setup pages.

oh when I say gone back to a Linksys, I mean I've reverted to using Linksys as it's what I had before Dlink. It's a new router, it's a WRT-110

one other thing it does is say that I have a connection, it's just local, and on the laptop it just cuts out and says that it can't connect.

and how would I identify a DHCP conflict or something? I'm not very good with networking things... lol.

well, the most obvious way I can think of is checking the pc's ip address before you connect the laptop, then see what address the laptop gets assigned. If they're teh same, that's the problem.

However, as I said before, most of the time that should still connect (even if the ip's are the same) you'll just get notices about an identical ip address on the network.

yeah, the problem with it was that it was just connecting, then saying it was local access only, then saying that there was like no network connection on both the desktop and the laptop. Oddly enough I've fixed it by installing XP on my laptop. I assume the reinstall messed with some settings and cleared a few things, but I'm not 100% sure as to what actually transpired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom