Connecting two PCs via crossover cable

Bob,
I know both NICs work because the link lights are both steady on, although the older is orange and the newer is green. could the older be a 100baseT and the newer one a gigabit? would that affect it at all?

Iamconfused,
I am running two desktops side by side the host PC is windows 7 and the client PC is Ubuntu 12.4. It is out of the question to transport one to the router because that would interfere with the other persons room setup and it is not something I want to do yet. I do have a third pc, a laptop, connected to the wifi network as well and it shows a local area connection but it said it is not plugged in (obviously)

I am going to try to use my laptop as the host PC and see if that works, that way I will know it is the win7 desktop that has the prob. I am also going to make sure the drivers are updated.

Last edited:
Okey this helps. Now on the Win 7, go into network connections and see if it shows that you have BOTH a LAN(local) connection AND a wireless.

See attached

If you have both, then good, should be not problem. Now, I am not familer with Ubuntu, but then it should also have the ablity to see network connections.

On the Ubuntu machine, is it a standalone O/s or do you also have Win ?

If stand alone, when you installed it, did it say anything about network connections?
Also, if stand alone, try rebooting into your bios and check and see if it shows you any network adaptors. You may need to disable>reboot>bios/network>reenable>reboot.

On any computer, or printer with a either port, there are two lites, one that shows that the equipment is connected to the system and the other flashes when passing data. This is normal.

Now, I am again going to tell you that in order to try and get anything working, you are going to have to have two standard either cables and a switch to make it work.

You are not going to be able to just use a xovr cable between the two computers.

Try this, laptop with wireless, connect to network, open network connections, right click on your wireless and in the lower left of screen it will show you the IP>WRITE IT DOWN (should be some thing like 192.168.0.3. See attached

Now on the WIN Desktop, connect thru wireless to the network and repeat the above. AGAIN write it down. Are the first three sets of numbers the same? If yes then they are in the same network. GOOD so far.

On the other desktop, did you find a network connection ablity? Yes, we can go to the next. If no then you have a problem.

I need to stop for now.

Attachments

• Network.jpg
    Network.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Both of the windows pcs have the same class of IP (192.168.0.X) and same subnet (255.255.255.0) the ubuntu does not even give me the option to get an IP it is grayed out because there is no internet connection.

When I disable wirless from the laptop and try a connection with the laptop and pc both, win 7, the LAN is recocnized on the laptop but not the desktop. I cannot enable or update this via device manager because it is not recognized there either.

I want to fix this problem for the learning experience but I may just get a wirless NIC for the Ubuntu system and be done with it.

Last edited:
I have a little more time tonight. I do not remember, are you just trying to get the Ubuntu computer to access the internet, or are you trying to connect both to share files?

Yes, a wireless addon card is a lot easier.

But, lets carryon. So, when both the lap top and WIn desk top are connected by wireless, you get IP's like this 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4. Correct?

Am I to understand that on the lap top in network connections, it shows both a lan AND a wireless but this is not so on the desktop?

If the desktop does not show a lan connection then you need to open (create) a connection, but in order for that to work, you DO need an active either connection to at least a router, but not necessarly the internet.

In order to open a connection you need to plug into a router, open network connections, then in the upper left click on create new connection.

This will open up the wizard that will allow you to make that connection.
Click next, click on connect to internet click next and just follow the directions.

Some where along the line this needs to be done on the other desktop as well.

Good luck.

@OP: You never posted a screenshot of your device manager so we can verify your computer is recognizing your ethernet port properly.

Please do so, so that we can troubleshoot your issue correctly.

I've posted guides to get it setup and working correctly exactly how you're wanting to acheive (share internet connection from Windows 7 wifi, bridge to ethernet, and output internet to the Ubuntu machine via ethernet).

Iamconfused,

Yes, I am trying to share internet but I would like to learn how to share files too. Yes, the IPs are both 192.168.0.X. LAN is identified on laptop but not desk. I have another router in a box i can plug up and try to establish a LAN connection. The ubuntu desktop has an established LAN connection already and I think once I get the win7 desktop LAN establish it is just a matter of configuration, I hope.

Carnage,

not sure if you can see this.

devman.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, that shows me that the computer isn't recognizing you have a hardwired ethernet port. That's your problem. Either try and temporarily move it to the router and plug it into there via hardwire to see if it shows up with an ethernet connection while it's plugged in, or try getting a new PCI ethernet card (if this is a desktop) and install it in there.

Back
Top Bottom