Connecting Laptop to Speakers via Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beta member
My laptop's only audio output is its headphone jack socket, and i am trying to connect up my new desktop speakers. When i plug them in, no matter what the volume is, the speakers give a low buzzing hum. If i plug the speakers into my minidisc player or another audio device there is no such hum, and this leads me to believe it is a problem with the computer (the socket maybe?). I have already replaced the speakers...

Is there any way to solve this?
Can I buy a filter for the socket?
Can I buy something to connect the speakers via USB?

Cheers -

Tom

Cheers! That USB Convertery thingie looks very useful!!! So It bypasses my sound card completely?

Ah, dammit - they don't ship to the UK... any ideas of any other boxes i could get that ship to the UK? I couldnt find that one on any UK shipping sites :(

Heya, I solved the problem.. Turned out it was just a 50hz interference from my mains power cable - when I ran the laptop off the battery there was no buzz!

Thanks for your Help

Tom

wow a triple post......be careful doing that hahaha

glad you got your problem fixed...i'm gonna make a mental note so if anybody else has the same problem i can help em with that.......

same prob

hey
ive had the same problem with my laptop but i want more than the hour and a half or so that my battery life allows me

is there no way to solve the interference between the power supplies of the speakers and the laptop

that interference really shouldn't be happening. and external audio card is the best bet to solving it. usb card are usually the most noise-free as they can be placed away from the computer and are powered by the computers 12v power supply (no 60hz hum)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom