Connected to the internet but cant accress any webpages

Status
Not open for further replies.

D-Rocks

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

I need some help and/or advice. I am currently working on my brothers in-laws computer. I can successfully connect to the internet either wireless or direct Ethernet cable but no matter what browser I use I can't get to any web-pages. I can update my AVG, Mal-ware bytes and all that with no issue but cant get to any web-pages. I have disabled all firewalls, reinstalled the browsers, reinstalled TCP/IP and repaired the win sock but with no luck. I have ran Mal-ware bytes and found 3 issues which I repaired and AVG came up with no viruses. Could this be a virus issue? The computer specification are:

Model: Dell Dimension 2350
CPU: Pentium 4 1.80GHz
BIOS Version: 12-17-2002
RAM: 512MB
HDD Size: 55.8GB

Any help would be wonderful.

Hi D-Rocks. I'm just going to reel off possible solutions that spring to mind, so forgive me if you've already tried them:

1. Have you check the network connection settings in the browser? No old dial-up, proxy settings lurking in there that might be causing a conflict?
2. Have you tried a system restore? It might be worth going back a week or so if possible to see if that resolves any issues.
3. Are you going through a router? Is there any settings in the router, like MAC/IP filterings, ACLs, etc that might be blocking the PC from accessing the Internet?
4. Have you tried another PC/Laptop on the LAN to see if it is the PC, or the network that is the problem?
5. Can you ping outwards? Loopback, then router, then domain, like Google.co.uk?
6. Have you cleared ARP, Flushed DNS?

Hope my answers are of some use.

I would say it's a DNS problem, since you can update your anti-virus.
Try to ping google ip address. Open the terminal and type "ping 173.194.37.104" and check if you can ping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom