Computer Login Server?

callmoo

Beta member
Hello I am brand new to this forum and joined to ask a question and hopefully will stay!

Okay so I deal with the IT side of things for my parents business. We run multiple computers and documents can be saved on the local hard drive or though the networked server which basically saves files on one main computer which is used for work but also as a 'server'. Users also login using the computers individule login. (ie. computer 1 for the first computer, computer 2 for the second etc etc.)

I did not set the original IT system up but I am redoing it all very soon. I want to be able to allow users to login using their own individule login (ie. jbloggs for a staff member called Joe Bloggs) but they need to be able to login on any computer on the network. What I have gathered so far is i need to setup a Login Server or something. I also want it so that users can save files on their own individule drive as well as the shared drives all users can access and I want to revoke access to the computers local hard drive, basically all files need to saved onto the shared drive/server.

I have aboslutly no clue where to start setting up a 'Login Server' if thats even what I need, sorry if this is very confusing its quite hard for me to explain, please let me know if you want something explained a different way.

Thanks!
callmoo

Sounds like you need to setup a domain. You can install Server 2008 R2, run dcpromo.exe and create a domain. From there you can go to users and computers on the domain controller (which is the Server 2008 R2 PC you just ran dcpromo on) and create users.

From there you can then add computers to the domain, as long as they are on the same network as your domain controller you can do this. Once they are on the domain any user that is created / configured on the domain controller can log into any computer added to the domain (exactly what you described above).

Once you have that configured you can install the Role of Share and Storage Management to manage and maintain shares on the server, which computers and users can access them.

Things to consider:
1. Server 2008 R2 will run you around $500
2. Server 2008 R2 can run on any machine that is x64 capable, depending on how many machines will be connecting will depend on how fast you will want the PC
3. You can keep your current desktops for this, joining to the domain is really easy and can be done from computer properties
4. LOTS AND LOTS of configuration should be done before hand to ensure your data is secure, safe and backed up

Feel free to ask any details, i could go into EXTREME detail if you need it.

Is there anyway to do the same from a Linux server? If not I will be doing what you said above, money isn't really a issue.

Thanks for the reply!

OpenLDAP is the open source version of Active Directory and it is available for Linux. I don't have any experience with it so I couldn't tell you how it compares with AD but that would be the Linux alternative.

Back
Top Bottom