Computer Building Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like your setup, but go with corsair xms series ram, and get 2 sata 36gb 10,000 rpm hard drives. i would recommend wd raptors. configure them in a raid0 array and that machine will be SMOKIN. your hard drive and ram are the only two bottlenecks in that system, and if you do what i said then they wont be bottlenecks anymore. buy it all from newegg because newegg has excellent prices, excellent shipping, and is just an all-around reputable retailer. you could save a few bucks using another site but it might be a mislabedled product, it might have extra shipping costs, etc. newegg all the way.

edit: and that case is good. dont go with a smaller case, that case is excellent and will have great airflow.

you dont need two hard drivers to store important data....thats the magic of partitioning. When installing XP (on your 1 80 gig hard drive (much much much cheaper than 2 40's)) just partition a section for your os and for your important data. that way, when you reformat, the partition with all your stuff stays there.
I would definately go with AMD for gaming, and definately Corsair XMS.

By the way, if you get 2 SATA hard drives, setup RAID1 instead of RAID0. THEN your puter will be awesome

Hmm ok. What is the difference between RAID 0 and 1? Like I said before, this is my first time building a computer so I'm not exaclty up on all these terms. And If I were to go with an AMD, what are some good processors/boards? Because I'm used to Pentium because that's what Gateway and Dell sell (What I'm on now).

majistic said:
wow 10 bays. you dont need that many.

Look at the case, you tard, it has like 4 cdrom drive bays, 2 floppy drive bays, and 4 HDD bays, you know, people have 2 gigs of RAM, it's not neccessary, but it helps, and it's a bit of future-proofing, why don't you actually look for pictures of the thing before you say something? Also, who are you to tell him what he does and does not need?

This is the one I have: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-135&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

Pics: http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...35-03.JPG/11-156-135-02.JPG/11-156-135-04.JPG

RAID:

I think 0 is dual storage and 1 is mirroring (constant backup), pretty sure it's the other way around though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom