Cert/Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well put ^^^. I agree with you 100%. On occasion, certain certifications could prove helpful, but like we both feel, it's education and experience first in most cases.

As for a quick answer to the age limit, there are no age limits for any certification. None of them. The youngest CCIE, I believe, got it when he was 17. I received my A+ at 16 in December of 1994
Problem there is that you can expect to be stuffed around at work because of your age. Friend of mine is only 18, however he's one the admins in one of Sydney data centres. Since he's on an 18 year old wage, his works has not problems with putting him on or at least on call duing long week ends has he's the cheapest person to pay that some of the other admin staff.

My goodness. It's just that?
I really wish Australia would do some thing like that where there was some certification for becoming an IT Techie at that level. I am sick and tired of any jock with a screw driver putting an ad in the paper or up at the local shop saying that they do ultra cheap computer repairs.

God that ****es me off too, I decided to go to the local shop today to pic some fags up an walk my dog. I saw 2 adverts 1 for a guy I know who dose a exceptional job from home (disabled guy in a wheel chair) I quite like the guy an have passed on some work to him. But the other guy charges a rate lower than what any one doing it for a living can an always messes up he told this guy his hard drive was dead when it was a faulty RAM. He formatted a dudes hard drive an lost all the wedding pic's he had on there.

ty for all the info
i dont think im going to take the tests maybe just read the cert books since i dont want to pay 150 every 2 years

does the books provide all the answers for the questions in the test?

but what im worried is that if new technology is added then i need to read the a new book completely while i dont need to read the info that my previous book provided or is it seperated in section like the new gen tech from the old tech?

The books usually provide practice questions - ones that MIGHT be similar to test questions. There are a million questions that could be asked, and of those all could be worded a little differently. So in short - no the books will not ask questions that are on any of the exams (CompTIA's, Citrix, Microsoft, etc). The idea is to get you to understand the technology, not the answers to the questions. So you could be asked ANYTHING about a certain technology (say networking) or givin any circumstance (all realistic ones) and you can come up with the solution.

The real world isn't black and white or as cut and dry as school may try to teach you. Which is why these highly regarded exams ask you questions that will make sure you do know the true answer and understand it. Not juse the memorization of DMA numbers or the speed of certain cables.

About the new technology, if you use that mentality you will NEVER take any technology exams, because within a week new technology will be out. The idea behind it is to understand the technology (or certain aspects) and troubleshoot from there. It really never hurts to know old technology anyways, because as any IT tech can tell you - no matter how out of date you think something is, you will still run into it. Although the A+ tests you on newer technology you will still run into issues like your mothers computer that is still running Windows 98. Know what i mean?

I would still highly suggest getting a certification if you plan on going into the IT field - it is not only a good resume builder, it will definately give you instant certification that you are qualified to do the work (which younger kids have a tough time doing because of age).

But the other guy charges a rate lower than what any one doing it for a living can an always messes up he told this guy his hard drive was dead when it was a faulty RAM. He formatted a dudes hard drive an lost all the wedding pic's he had on there.
Normally these people do not last that long as word normally gets around that they are idiots. The problem is that there is too many of them.
So where one finally moves on, another pops up.

I do get the occasional horror story from clients where I am going "And he did what?"

And there are some practices that I do not agree with. My previous co-workers "I just use CUT and PASTE when backing up customers data" is some thing I do not agree with. You think that after cleaning one of these **** ups*, he's learn. No. He does not work here any more. I wonder why?

To date, the only data that I have ever lost as been my own. And that is because I was re-installing windows while
a. Drunk
b. Drugged
c. Tired
d. Commination of the above.

* Power failure while doing this. Lost data on both Desktop and Extneral hard drive. I had to spend about a 1/2 a day trying to recover the data from the desktop. I successed. But I did loose 1/2 a day doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom