Blu ray internal drive to USB?

alex_boothby

In Runtime
Hi there,

My laptop does not have a dvd drive.

I was thinking I will buy an external one. Then I thought, it would also be good to be able to play blu ray.

The problem is, external blu ray players are expensive!

If I was to buy an internal Sata blu ray drive and then buy a Sata to USB cable, if I was to connect that to my laptop - would it work? This would be quite a bit cheaper.

I could even get a blu ray re-writer (not sure I would have much use for this though!).

Many thanks

Celery

Golden Master
You won't need a burner then so go ahead and install the player. It is backward compatible.

AMD_man

Fully Optimized
Internal drives need power cables that come from the PSU. Even if you convert the data signals, you'd still need to find a way to provide power.

I'm not sure how you would do that with a Laptop. Alternatives would be a bit messy from what I've seen, but it's definitely possible.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Here: https://youtu.be/gkIwHxeKC40

root

Site Team
Staff member
Yes, those external USB drive bay things are just the same shaped slot as a laptop drive with a sata connector at the back.

You can do it (I have done it.)

don't worry about spending extra on USB3, Blueray VC-1 is around 20mbps bitrate and USB is about 3 times faster.

You want something to get power to the drive,
I've use an old Dell Power vault external tape drive chassis -it's just a power supply, switch and 5.25" bay that once had a tape drive, obviously you can rip all the SCSI stuff out of something like that.