BIOS/ubuntu help (dont know if this is possible)

mulletman1004

Solid State Member
i recectly had a close encounter with my computer to its death involving installing ubuntu on my external HD and not knowing about GRUB. is there anyway to install ubuntu w/o grub, and just the HD as a place to boot from?

the bios on my home computer dosn't support USB anything, is there any SAFE way to change the bios to support booting from usb?

thanks
mulletman

Not sure about the GRUB thing, my knowledge of linux is basic. As for the BIOS, you maybe to get an update from the mobo manufacturers website. Then you need to flash it. Its pretty straightforward to do, but if you do it wrong then you could possible end up with a dead mobo (depending on mobo model)

no grub is the boot loader for linux without it the MBR is blank. in other words your BIOS wont know that there is an OS loaded on that HD. GRUB is fine as long as long as your bios supports large hdd's above 137gigs or your hdd dosent exceed 137gigs. from the GRUB boot loader you can boot from either windows or linux so you shouldnt have a problem with GRUB if you installed it on your regular HDD.

try flashing your bios if it cant boot from USB devices

Back
Top Bottom