so, i just installed a new motherboard. i really have no clue why the first one failed. but it did. i am a bit on the paranoid side, so if there is anything i can do to keep this from happening again, i want to do it. in the basement, where i am now, and where my computer desk is, i am about 6 feet away from the water heater. yes, i know if there is ever a problem with that, my computer will be ruined. but its about the only place i can put my desk, so.... anyway, because i am so close to the water heater, i am wondering if i should run a ground wire from the computer case, to the water heater. in my brain, it seems likely that if static electricity caused my motherboard to die (yes, i have ruined a computer by static electricity), then running a ground wire might keep static from building up strong enough to "quick fry to a crackly crunch" components in my computer. am i off base here? does this seem like it would work?