Best Linux for old Dell PC?

CommanderLiamTHX

In Runtime
Hi, my grandma currently has a Dell Dimension E130 with these specs:
  • 105GB HDD
  • Pentium 4 clocked at 2.80 GHz
  • and 1GB of RAM.
She doesn't seem to happy with the idea of upgrading, because she's pretty much gotten used to things like power button placement and WIndows XP. Are there any Windows-like Linux distros that are small and fast on older hardware?

I currently trying out Lubuntu on an older Dell Optiplex GX270.
I'll see how it goes
I'm finding that there's going to be a lot of perfectly good XP pc's out there after XP expires. Linux is going to become a very popular replacement operating system for these older boxes, that can fill a niche for people just looking for a cheap basic pc to surf and get their email with
lubuntu | lightweight, fast, easier

I checked Lubuntu with that older Dell, Lubuntu does not have drivers for intel on board video, and it looks like there's no drivers available except for the *nix default and it's not very pretty. I popped in an old MX440 Nvidia card and that seems to work well, but just for basics I suppose.
Had some difficulty installing a driver for my Brother Printer, it's not in the synaptics and no repositories have my driver. I was able to get the drivers from the Brother printers web site though. Lubuntu has Firefox and Flash Player by default during the install, but had to get Libre Office, VLC Media player, more wallpapers and any screensavers (there are none by default) through synaptics.
Not the type of distro you can install and walk away from, needs some fidigiting but it's painless. Count on getting an old video card for that old Dell pc (Optiplex GX270 in my case)

Last edited:
elementary OS.

Ubuntu LTS based, lightweight, and looked good. Some lightweight distros look like they were spawned out of the 1980's era, which is a major turn off.

Back
Top Bottom