beginner programmer needs help getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

percussionman11

Baseband Member
ok, I consider myself a competent person when it comes to pc repair and finding my way around a computer however I have tried several times to get into programming and every time throw my hands up in frustration not knowing where to start. I have searched the web high and low for a good starting place. I went out the last time and went so far as to buy a book "Beginning Programming for Dummies" only to find myself discouraged because it broke off into 4 programming languages at once.

I am looking for a basic starting point to learn programming. I would ideally like to learn a practical language that could be used for all around use (I keep hearing C++ for this...yes/no?) however I do hope to make games one day to at least amuse myself. If I should start with one language and change to another which ones and at what point should I switch assuming I commit 5-10 hours a week doing this (6 months, year, etc.)?

What do I need and where can I get it? Free is preferred but low cost would be essential as I am just learning and do not want to commit several hundred dollars into software and books for something I may not enjoy.

I have Visual C++ 2010 Express downloaded but the tutorials are a maze and assume a lot of prior knowledge which I have NONE of.

Suggestions/Ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

My advice to you is start out in Visual Basic. You should be able to get a copy of Visual Basic Express <here, just like you did with C++ Express. The advantage of Visual Basic for you is going to be instant response from the program you are creating. There is no compile time if you just want to run your program, but you can compile it into an exe after you get it working. Knowing that your program is working at each new step can alleviate some of that frustration.

Start by not programming. Just go to KarenWare - Home of Karen's Power Tools and download some of her source codes for programs like an alarm clock. Get familiar with Visual Basic's IDE (Integrated Development Environment) by just opening the source code, running it in the environment, and compile it. Then try making modifications to the software to see what results they give you - a lot of possible values can be found in various drop down menus.

After you feel familiar with the environment, then try getting into a good Visual Basic book or online tutorial. I wouldn't worry about the version number on the book as opposed to the version you have installed until a more advanced stage. Don't worry about how long you spend learning the material, just do one project at a time.

thanks, appreciate you sharing your thoughts and opinions! I have started dabbling with Visual Basic.

Gotta say I was hoping for a few more opinions, not sure if this is because people agree or just didn't want to post. With a forum of 59,500+ users I was hoping for more than one post...lol

VB is OK and should be a pretty gently introduction. Python, Java and C# are other options. Python is high level and interpreted which can make it more accessible but on the other hand it relies on whitespace which can make it frustrating at times. Java is pretty simple to learn but difficult to master, I can help you a lot if you choose Java. C# is probably roughly equivalent to Java but I won't be able to help you with it as much.

vb is a good launching pad to C++ and C#. VB isn't the most practical in terms of long term usage, depending on what you're doing you'll most likely exceed the limitations of the code. It's pretty good to start because you don't really have to code initially, you can just use the User Interface to create boxes and such and get a hang of creating things, and then you can add code in for more specific things. Python is another good one to start with, it's more powerful but all hand-code driven, so it's a bit harder to start with.

Do some VB and Python and that will give you an idea of the kinds of things that you want to code and then you can pick a language that's really good at doing those specific things.

Here's how I started to learn programming in, what, 5th grade? So actually, i originally started off with the sole purpose of making game. There is a FREE tool call Game Maker (google it). So this is a great tool because it start off very easy with Drag & Drop command. It get you to think in an object oriented programming mindset without you even knowing it. My first game took 5 minute to make. So after messing around for a few hours or days, you should be pretty familiar with the basic functions of moving objects, transforming sprite, creating new object, using timers, ...

Eventually you will will get tired of D&D, and wonder if there is an easily way in doing it. Yup, here's where the advance mode of the software come into play. You program in GML. It is a very very easy scripting language that will prepare you to learn a language that professionals uses. With scripting, you unlock the power of creating more complicated games, artificial intelligence, multiple player online game, 3D game... with the build-in functions, you can easily create your own software with it, since it has functions to mess with files, registry... I think the best part when comparing this to for ex Java, is that all the graphics stuffs are easily taken care of in Game Maker, where as in Java you have to spend hours to guess and check to get it right (at least for me).

Okay, so you have fun with making games. You then start learning Java, C++ or whatever language. Everything just kinda just transfer through. At least for me, when I finally got to do it in high school AP CompSci. If you have a TI Calculator, you can also try programming it, the basic principal is the same, just different syntax, different functions...

Personally I knew nothing at all about prgramming! I used w2schools as a starting point. It has a lot of great tutorials and I found a good plae to start. I like to know why things work aswel as how!

Good luck!

thanks guys! I went out and bought a book on C++ as well as Visual Basic and have been digging into the VB book. Nice thing is Visual Basic is pretty intuitive so it has been easy to pick up. Been able to learn a few basic things and hoping to learn a lot more.

Once I get through the book I think I will begin learning the C++ material...that truly is what I want to learn but don't want to fry myself learning something that is really complex if I wont understand it. (kinda like I wouldn't want to learn calculus before addition, subtraction, algebra, etc.)

The two books I purchased were (for those interested):

- Sams Teach Yourself Visual Basic 2010 in 24 Hours
- The Complete Reference C++ Fourth Edition

Any suggestions on programs I can use when I get to C++? VB2010 is pretty obvious...lol....C++ not so much. Thanks again for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom