Audio-nerd assistance required!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
Okay...

So our band won Battle Of The Bands, and we're going in for Provincials. Everyone's telling us we've got a really good chance of winning.

We really need an EP released, to get noticed more... And I've been doing tons of research, we're getting everything ready for recording...

I've got my PC, and I'm getting an Audigy Platinum eX shipped in. (Onboard sound is a COMPLETE no-no. I'm going to be doing all my guitar tracks with Amplitube.)

We've got the mixer, running to the line in of the sound card...

We've got all our mics, our drummer recently ordered an 800 dollar drum-mic set...

And we've got a small room with a great sound for recording...

Only thing is, I've only recorded a few times, I'm not that great with mixing. I can get a decent sound, but I've heard mixing can make a huge difference between a recording sounding good, or great...

Now, this is what I'm asking... I know there are a few of you here who are really good with this audio stuff. I believe Nubius is taking a course in audio-engineering, and Crysalis is good at this stuff too, from what I can remember. Can anyone, if I sent them all the files needed, mix our songs? Or atleast give me some tips? The only thing that will be pre-mixed is the drum track. We will do the best we can with this, and I would LOVE any help anyone can give me on this.

I'm not sure which recording program we're using yet... We're going to go to the music store tomorrow, and see what they have for sale... I'm going to get Sonar if I have enough money left in my bank account...

Anyone? Please?

If you send me raw data (maybe DVDs of the files?), I would be glad to mix/master for you. No problem at all. All I would need would be raw files of each track (drums pre mixed is ok, but needs to be EQ'd VERY well and miked equally as well). Afterwards, I could send you a CD and see how you like it (or mp3's, whatever is easier), and tell me what you want different, make those changes and finalize.

The raw data needs to be wav, or mp3. WAV are gonna be HUGE and will probably have to be sent to me physically as I dont have hi speed (i have 768/128 DSL).

Just make sure you record WELL. Mixing engineers can't do much with bad recordings.

EDIT:

If you end up using Sonar, let me know which version (I have most of them) and you could probably just send me all of the data, and the Sonar file and I could use that instead of lining everything up one by one.

Can't you just go to a recording studio in town and have it done right then and there?
I mean, it can't be THAT expensive.

The cheapest one around here is $140 an hour. Thats for recording only. You get either a DVD of the files, or a multitrack tape and you're kicked out the door. If you want mixing, then thats another 120-140 an hour for 1week per song. You have 8-9 songs, thats 2 months paying 120 an hour. Mastering? Lets not go there....

which is why I would be more than glad to help him out (as I am also a musician)

We're recording well... I scrapped the CRT, using an LCD so there's no interference, keeping my tower as far away from the recording source as possible, I don't want any interference...

We can do a pretty good job with the drum mixing... We've played hundreds of shows, most of them we have to do the mixing ourselves, I'm gonna keep it as clean as possible... As for the guitars, I'm glad I was able to get a copy of Amplitube, so I don't have to mess with micing amps and stuff, I never was good with it...

As for the raw data... There's probably going to be about 10 tracks... The drums are going to be stuck to one, since I have to pre mix it... There'll probably be 2 vocal tracks (might be 3 at some point), 3 guitar tracks (rythem, lead, lead harmonized), bass, might have piano in there at one point...

I guess I'll save it all into an ISO or ZIP file, and if it's not over 400 MB, I'll try to get it to you without having to physically send you a disc.

It's only an EP, so we'll probably have 5 or 6 songs needing mixing for the final draft of the CD.

I can probably send you a demo of the kind of music we're playing, just to let you know what kind of stuff you'd be mixing.

If this goes through, I'll be sure to put your name on the linear notes, with huge thanks :D

Crysalis said:
The cheapest one around here is $140 an hour. Thats for recording only. You get either a DVD of the files, or a multitrack tape and you're kicked out the door. If you want mixing, then thats another 120-140 an hour for 1week per song. You have 8-9 songs, thats 2 months paying 120 an hour. Mastering? Lets not go there....

which is why I would be more than glad to help him out (as I am also a musician)
Wow, that's alot more than I though it'd be.

HAVOC2k5 said:
Crysalis that's a might nice gesture by you to provide your services.

Techonvent has taught you well young padawan....

ToV would have taught me to say "HECK NO! GET A JOB AND PAY UP YOU LOSER!"

j/k

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom