Anyone here work at a NOC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilipiNomad

Baseband Member
How do you like it?

I just got out of college a few months ago and I don't really know what to expect. I have a job now doing systems admin work but I really would rather go the networking route.

grass is always greener on the other side

and ... (to confuse the matter)

no guts, no glory

make sure the job is a good fit for you b4 leaving ur current job. skills match, people match, passion match.

Yes the pay is a bit better.

Skills match? Don't know. They require 2-3 years NOC experience and I have zero. The thing I got going for me is my CCNA and nailing their interview questions regarding Cisco devices.

People match? Don't know either. I've only talked to the recruiter and the IT Manager over the phone.

Passion match? Definitely! My goal by the end of the year is to get the CCNP. I really enjoy learning about Cisco. I can pick up a Cisco book and finish it within a week. I can't say the same about Microsoft. I've never finished reading a Microsoft book. I go through a few chapters then die from boredom.

regarding skills you'll want to ask enough q's during the interview process to determine if you feel you can complete the work in a timely fashion. what training do they provide? how is progress monitored?

regarding people, ask about the corporate culture. what are the goals of the organization? are there any team building activities. try to get a feel for how people work within the org. Does this fit with your work style?

My desk is located in the NOC, but my current responsibilities don't involve networking. This is a bit off topic, but I just got my CCENT on Wednesday and I'm working on my CCNA. I couple of guys in our networking department have suggested taking the full CCNA exam 640-802 instead of taking the ICND2 exam to get my CCNA. I'm planning on getting my CCNA within a maximum of 2 months, what would you suggest.

Thanks for the tip. I need to make a list of questions to ask them on the personal interview.

@TheDancingFetus
If you didn't have your CCENT, I would suggest going for the full CCNA exam. But, since you already have it then I probably would just take the ICND2 exam since it won't cover as broad of an area as the full CCNA exam. It's not like the employers ask you which route you took to get your CCNA. It's also cheaper. You'd have to pay $250 to take the full CCNA exam as opposed to just $125 to take the ICND2 exam.

Finally got the phone interview done. They asked some tough questions and I had to say I don't know for some of them but I guess I still did pretty well. I'm scheduled for a personal interview tomorrow. They're actually willing to go around my work schedule to meet with me in person so that may be a good sign. They're coming in half an hour earlier than they usually do just to meet with me and so I have plenty of time to go to work afterwards.

Nice - sadly it's rare to find companies that are willing to move around your schedule for an interview. If they are flexibile with your current work schedule that is usually an indication they will be flexible for you when employed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom