A simple question related to wireless networks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaymzKB

Beta member
I have set up a 3 station wireless network. I have one central desktop as the server, and two laptops for access. Both of these laptops have wireless internet cards built into them. I have set it up to where the desktop has 3 main drives.

One 160gb hard drive for Audio
One 250gb hard drive for Video
One 200gb hard drive for other misc stuff (docs, pics, etc)

These are the only three drives that I have shared on the network, the only drives that my laptops are permitted to access. Here is where my question comes into play.

I need to know hot to protect the network with a network password. I need to know how to set it up so that any other wireless notebooks can not access my files. I live in a high rise building in DC, and most of the people here have wireless notebooks. I don't want anyone to be able to access my network, so that they can not view my files, or steal my bandwidth. I know it needs to be set up from my desktop, because that is the only comp with a direct physical connection to my modem and router. beyond that though, I am lost.

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like you need encryption. I recommend WPA2. I hope your router supports it.

Go to Control panel
Network connection
Right click on your wireless card and go to property
Click on wireless network tab

Under preferred network:

Select your network and click on properties

Under “association” tab you will see “wireless network key”

In “network authentication” from pop down menu select appropriate option

Under “data encryption” select enable

UNCHECK the “The key is provided me automatically”

This will unhide the “network key”

Provide key and you are done

Disable and re-enable your wireless connection to all the computers and then it will ask you the key. Put the key to connect to you wireless connection.

It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom