64 bit AMD vs 64 bit Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbo0485

Solid State Member
My computer will be used for mostly Counter Strike Source and some unreal tournament 2k4. Right now i have a p4 2.8 prescott, bfg 6800 ultra, 1 gig ram, 80 gig hd, dfi lanparty. Im lookin to upgrade but should i go with amd 64 bit or an intel 64 bit. Which is better for gaming. If i were to spend 200 dollars on either an amd 64 bit or an intel 64 bit which would i get the better performance out of.

The Athlon 64 is the way to go for gaming performance. It has long been the case that AMD CPU's have ruled the roost when it comes to raw performance in games.

If you can afford it, wait for the upcoming FX-60 model. Dual-core, 2.8GHz, 2x1MB L2 cache :drool:

ha..how much will that cost lmao. im not rich i AM on a budget so i may wait till the after xmas sales and see what i can get. Right now i run it fine w/ only a little slow down when there is a smoke, flash, he nade, and 3-4 ppl constantly firing. But that seems to happen in 90% of our cal matches so i really need to upgrade

For $200, you can get an AMD 3500+ or an Intel 640 (which is 3.2GHz and has EM64T).

IMO, they will perform very similarily. Even for games. A lot of people are like "OMG, get AMD, because Intel is the sux0r!!!!11." When in fact an Intel machine would perform nicely, as long as you choose the right parts.

But, benchmarks prove that AMD chips do edge out Intel in gaming. Mind you thats only by a couple fps, and not usually anything too significant.

I should also ask what socket your CPU/motherboard is. If it is already skt775, then you might as well just get an Intel CPU that supports 64 bit, as your mobo should already be ready for it. If this is the case, then it's kinda silly to get an AMD when you already have a decent rig already that can to the upgrade that you want.

If you're playing games, its AMD, But if you are going to use it for other stuff like photo/video/music editing, you might consider Intel because they are better at multimedia. And Intel supports DDR2, so thats an advantage over AMD.

RockyZ said:
If you're playing games, its AMD, But if you are going to use it for other stuff like photo/video/music editing, you might consider Intel because they are better at multimedia. And Intel supports DDR2, so thats an advantage over AMD.

However AMD still get better memory peformance due to the better memory controller, and AMD will tie intel for most multimedia tasks now.

AMD 100%

Thanks for the help. Its socket 477 (i think). I know i have to get a new mobo either way b/c i wanna go w/ a 64bit processor so i knew i needed a new mobo. Already took that into consideratin when i told you guys how much i can spend on a processor.

cbo0485 said:
Thanks for the help. Its socket 477 (i think). I know i have to get a new mobo either way b/c i wanna go w/ a 64bit processor so i knew i needed a new mobo. Already took that into consideratin when i told you guys how much i can spend on a processor.

SOCKET WTF?

What processor are you currently running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom