3D game programming - bringing it all together

danhodge

In Runtime
All right - this is a pretty dumb question. But I have to start somewhere i guess...

So, I have learnt a bit about programming - making a few little Java games (little is an overstatement) and i started looking at 3d graphic development. I have been playing around with stuff like Blender and Unreal Development Kit, and it got me thinking about how i would actually link programming into it.

I know the UDK has its own scripting kind of system, but would you still do programming as you do for normal software? Is it a mix of, say scripting for the characters movement, then programming for the games engine or something?

Basically, I am unsure of how different parts of a game are put together. I understand that UDK tends to be the 'Final part' where everything is put together, but other than that, I am clueless.

Thanks,
Danny

All right - this is a pretty dumb question. But I have to start somewhere i guess...

So, I have learnt a bit about programming - making a few little Java games (little is an overstatement) and i started looking at 3d graphic development. I have been playing around with stuff like Blender and Unreal Development Kit, and it got me thinking about how i would actually link programming into it.

I know the UDK has its own scripting kind of system, but would you still do programming as you do for normal software? Is it a mix of, say scripting for the characters movement, then programming for the games engine or something?

Basically, I am unsure of how different parts of a game are put together. I understand that UDK tends to be the 'Final part' where everything is put together, but other than that, I am clueless.

Thanks,
Danny

This is like 2 1/2 months late but... you would need both scripting and in-game kismet for Unreal Development Kit (UDK). The scripting would set the parameters for the character such as groundspeed, Health, and what you would like it to extend from (parameters from another script/bot/character).

You would script all the sounds that character needs through scripting (such as: default footsteps, take dmg(low, med & high), dying, crushed, dodge etc..)

But the animations would all need to be called and used in the kismet portion of the engine and with the anim-tree.

For helping you script and program using the UDK engine, I suggest getting a tool from WOTgreal.com It makes scripting a lot easier and acts like visual studio.

Back
Top Bottom