It support - logging work

1etherer

Fully Optimized
I just started a new 2nd line job today and I'm wondering who has to log their entire working hours and not just it tickets?

This places has said I need to log my entire 8hours each day and if it's under this will be an issue if it continues.. I understand logging all tickets and it issues but having to log my entire time I don't get, and it puts me off working here... (Not allowed down time)

Thoughts please so I can decide weather to change job now so I'm not here to long!

Last edited:
I just started a new 2nd line job today and I'm wondering who has to log their entire working hours and not just it tickets?

This places has said I need to log my entire 8hours each day and if it's under this will be an issue if it continues.. I understand logging all tickets and it issues but having to log my entire time I don't get, and it puts me off working here... (Not allowed down time)

Thoughts please so I can decide weather to change job now so I'm not here to long!

I have some clients that I take care of that do medical transcriptioning for a company, or at least all but one of them used to that is exactly like that. That is one of the biggest complaints they give me other than their tech support that is...

Like I said all but one of them has left, they also claim that their word counts from typing are not what they actually are since the company has some funky algorithm to account for a myriad of things that gets them to be able to get more work in for less.

Personally I am and have been leaning more toward the set amount payment system. That's how I charge after all. Of course that is here in the U.S. it seems the IT field is about 50/50 that except in the business sector, I get to make more money there because of it. Seems to me that you would have start and stop times built into the ticket at least in sorts and that should be enough I would think. As you, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, kind of an incentive to be slower at getting tickets done

I do not like companies that like to track everything.
In previous jobs I've worked on projects where we have to say how many hours we've spent on them however I've had cool managers who trusted us and didn't care.
At my wife's current job(she's a contractor) she has like 3 timesheets, sometimes she has to bill the company and sometimes the contractor, gets confusing.

Yep - I have to bill my time accordingly as well; but I'm a Software Developer so we have to track our time by the projects we're working on, and those hours get billed to the corrrect agency/group that we're developing the application for, so I have to bill my time accordingly.

Krazyp / Carnage - I fully understand that, timesheet to bill you for your time. but this is just tracking you! and if say I only log 7.45hours then the next day the system wont allow you to carry on working until you account for the 15min from yesterday!!!! (seriously).

They never mentioned this before, they just said we have to log the tickets and the time taken (like all normal ticketing systems)...

My job in my last company has been taken.. my friend may have a job for me that I can apply for but if not, Im stuck here now until I search for a new place... This will look bad on me now as the next company will ask - Why are you leaving after 1week(s)?..

I'm so annoyed! any advise on what to say if I get a interview within the next 2 weeks? I've never been in this position!

Last edited:
Krazyp / Carnage - I fully understand that, timesheet to bill you for your time. but this is just tracking you! and if say I only log 7.45hours then the next day the system wont allow you to carry on working until you account for the 15min from yesterday!!!! (seriously).

They never mentioned this before, they just said we have to log the tickets and the time taken (like all normal ticketing systems)...

My job in my last company has been taken.. my friend may have a job for me that I can apply for but if not, Im stuck here now until I search for a new place... This will look bad on me now as the next company will ask - Why are you leaving after 1week(s)?..

I'm so annoyed!
If you plan to leave after 1 week, you don't have to even mention to it to your next employer.
I only put down jobs I've had for at least a year unless it was a shorter contract and I completed it.
That's a strict system and I wouldn't work for a company like that unless the job and people were amazing.

Ah, yikes yeah mine isn't like that. That sound pretty draconian, and guarantee it's just something one of the higher ups / managers wanted implemented since it provides no value, IMO.

As for what to say if you're asked why you left so soon...can always say it wasn't a good fit for you. Just don't bad mouth your previous company because that will reflect poorly on you and they will think "well what if he leaves us and bad mouths us to the next place he applies to?".

Ah, yikes yeah mine isn't like that. That sound pretty draconian, and guarantee it's just something one of the higher ups / managers wanted implemented since it provides no value, IMO.

As for what to say if you're asked why you left so soon...can always say it wasn't a good fit for you. Just don't bad mouth your previous company because that will reflect poorly on you and they will think "well what if he leaves us and bad mouths us to the next place he applies to?".

Yup, never bad mouth your previous employers during an interview.
However I honestly wouldn't even bring them up if you were barely there.

Idk how background checks work for you but I guess if they show up then then you can saw what carnage did.
I just experience a really weird situation for the first time
After I found out my contract was ending early at BBY
I managed to get another contract job before my current contract ended so I got lucky
However I was also interviewing with another company that was FT
I started the new contract job and 2 days later got an offer for the FT position.
I asked and researched for advise in this situation and man it was weird but I was honest to the manager of the firm (Wells Fargo) and to my recruiting company.
It ended really well and they appreciated me being honest and said they will still keep in touch which I was shocked.

I'm kinda confused what you mean by "logging hours". At my old company we had to "clock in" when we started working and "clock out" if we went for a break, and only our clocked hours counted towards the total number of hours worked per day/week. Is that what you're talking about?

If you're gaining valuable experience at this new job, I would tell you to hang in there for a bit if you think you can. If not, then I would definitely bail out (personally). A place that is tracking that hard is clearly having issues that they don't know how to control other than micromanagement, and if they think that allowing for absolutely zero downtime is going to fix that, then they are mistaken. That will just cause employees to lie about what they are doing with their time.

The only other thing I can think to advise you would be to talk to them about the necessity of tracking the time in such a manner to see if they have a legitimate reason for doing so. Maybe they have a better reason than I can think of this early in the morning. You can't go wrong by asking a question! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom