It support - logging work

That stinks - i understand if you are in consulting because every minute you are working for a client needs to be billed and every minute you aren't working for a client your company is eating that cost.

For a level 2 position though where your primary role is ticket creation / resolution i think it's a bit silly to log everything you are doing. If ticket creation is not your primary function i can see how logging is necessary. Maybe not a minute by minute log but something outlining hey i worked on project xyz today and project 123. I do that for the most part, i'm not tracking every minute but i do have projects i need to work on daily and i need to make some headway with it.

The difference for me at least is a lot of my time is spent testing and researching to see what settings work properly and what best practices are for a specific device.

I'm kinda confused what you mean by "logging hours". At my old company we had to "clock in" when we started working and "clock out" if we went for a break, and only our clocked hours counted towards the total number of hours worked per day/week. Is that what you're talking about?
In some IT jobs you have to keep track on specific projects you're working on and how much time you've spent on them. It's so companies can bill accordingly.
I'd never work at a place where I would be micro managed. In fact where I'm working now they had asked me during my interview, and after my response the lady was like psht I hate being micromanaged.
I said it depends on the situation like if you're bad at your job or if you just started

I'm kinda confused what you mean by "logging hours". At my old company we had to "clock in" when we started working and "clock out" if we went for a break, and only our clocked hours counted towards the total number of hours worked per day/week. Is that what you're talking about?

My contract says I have to work 8 hours, so within the 8 hours I have to account for each 15min increments (minimum) e.g. 15 checking emails, 1 hour fixing broken harddrive, 30 min fixing a service down, 15min resetting a password, 15min checking emails 1 hour traveling to client... my entire time has to be accounted for, not just check in at 9am, log calls/ tickets then check out at 6pm, they want to know what I done inbetween everything! and it cant be nothing (no down time)

I have decided to call it quits after the 2nd day.... My friend (IT manager) may be able to swing me a interview in his company (by pass HR ;) ) if not I'll just go job hunting, I should be able to land a job in 2/3 weeks I hope.

I found out by someone they have a high turn over, I should of known as they said its 1 position but another guy started the same time?? and we spoke today and he feels the same way and is thinking of moving on before he gets stuck in to much...

I have decided to call it quits after the 2nd day.... My friend (IT manager) may be able to swing me a interview in his company (by pass HR ;) ) if not I'll just go job hunting, I should be able to land a job in 2/3 weeks I hope.

I found out by someone they have a high turn over, I should of known as they said its 1 position but another guy started the same time?? and we spoke today and he feels the same way and is thinking of moving on before he gets stuck in to much...

well since you're located on the moon I can't believe you have many options so good luck

I don't blame you, i'd have quit day one. That is just ****ing bull**** logging every 15 minutes with no down time. So they expected you to be busy for ann entire 8 hours each day ?

That's just not how IT helpdesk stuff works from my experience. Some days I go to work and literally there is only 30 minutes work in the entire day, I may as well have stayed in bed. Other days I have to skip lunch, work an hour late, and then come in at the weekend to get the helpdesk requests down. It just varies so much.

I don't blame you, i'd have quit day one. That is just ****ing bull**** logging every 15 minutes with no down time. So they expected you to be busy for ann entire 8 hours each day ?

That's just not how IT helpdesk stuff works from my experience. Some days I go to work and literally there is only 30 minutes work in the entire day, I may as well have stayed in bed. Other days I have to skip lunch, work an hour late, and then come in at the weekend to get the helpdesk requests down. It just varies so much.

Yup agreed.
I know some help desk call center jobs where your breaks are scheduled which is such crap!.
But yeah since I've worked in IT I've realized that you don't work all the time.
it's kinda sad that when you make less and work retail or in fast food, your working your *** off
But with corporate higher paying jobs it's the opposite.
I do feel bad however I do know that we know more and someone at a retail position wouldn't be able to handle what we do if things went wrong

Dayum, that *is* pretty draconian. When I first started for my current company we had a bi-weekly meeting where we had to list everything we did (minus tiny stuff like swapping a mouse etc) and what "lessons we learned" during the week. Sounds like the same type of manager :p though I didn't have it anywhere close to as bad as having to account for every 15 minute block of time...

Back
Top Bottom