Potentially the longest thread in history...

which is why 8800's are very good for folding, Nvidia cards produce the most points per watt, compared to all other clients.

I have three 8800s going and it costs about $30 a month, i did a comparison here against a ps3.

http://www.techist.com/forums/1441332-post6.html

A single pc running 24/7 folding on an 8800GT would use less than half of that, so it would be only about $10 a month.

eh...........folding just isnt in my blood right now, and like i said, in my situation money is tight. Sry rican.

On September 16, 2007, the Folding@home project officially attained a performance level higher than one petaFLOPS, becoming the first computing system of any kind to do so, although it had briefly peaked above one petaFLOPS in March 2007.[14][15]. In comparison, the fastest supercomputer in the world (as of June 2008, IBM's Roadrunner) peaks at 1.026 petaFLOPS[16]. In early May 2008 the project attained a sustained performance level higher than two petaFLOPS, again being the first computing system of any kind to do so. Now Folding@home computing cluster operates at above 2 petaFLOPS at all times, with a large majority of the performance coming from PlayStation 3 and GPU clients.[2] On August 20, 2008, the Folding@home project broke the three petaFLOPS milestone, once again being the first computing project of any kind in history to ever do so.[2]

How long until this thing's self aware?

Power bills basically. That why every night I put my pc in standby mode and I noticed it saves a lot o powah.

You can be folding right now, while browsing the net. You can start and stop the client as much as you wish, and the gpu wu's are much quicker to finish.

One every 4 hours for you id say. And since the system is already on, it only doesnt add that much more power.

Does turning off the computer for 8-9 hours a day really save a noticeable amount of energy? Cause I might have to do that haha.

Back
Top Bottom