Xbox Audio with LCD monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglez

In Runtime
Hey all,
I just bought a VGA cable so i can play my xbox 360 on my 22 inch Widescreen monitor. I am wondering how i am supposed to get audio with this kind of setup. I was hoping to use my computer gaming headset with it. I dont know how i am supposed to go about doing this, and if its possible to connect it to the microphone so i can use that too.

Please reply back

I am using an acer 22 widescreen-xbox via MICROSOFT Vga cable.

You'll need an RCA-to-minijack plug if you want to use speakers. These things are cheap at RadioShack or other similar electronics shops. If you don't have one you can buy online too.

You'll probably want to use some sort of amplifier if you're using a headset. If your monitor has built in speakers (and a built in headphone jack), you can connect your 360 to the monitor speakers and then plug the headphones into the monitor. If your monitor doesn't have speakers/doesn't have a headphone jack, then you probably already have some PC speakers that do have a headphone jack, in which case you want to connect the speakers to the 360 (and plug the headphones into the speakers).

Here's a simple diagram of some options:
speakersetupli3.png

All those parts are available at RadioShack. If you can't find a coupler, you can use a stereo headphone splitter (the thing that lets you connect two headphones to one device) and just use both female ends (put tape around the male end to avoid static causing noise if you must).

If you're using the speakers (method 2 in diagram), check to see if your speakers can accept an RCA input. Some speakers can use the red/white plugs, others only use minijack (headphones plug connector). Also, some speakers have a female connector for the input while others have a cord with a male connector (usually the green plug as shown in the diagram). If you have a speaker set with a female input, you don't need a coupler or splitter.

If you don't have speakers OR a monitor with built in speakers, you can try method 3 but I doubt it'll sound very good if it even works. For this you should either pick up a cheap set of speakers (they'll have a headphone amp built in usually) or build one of the numerous headphone amplifiers that you can find online.

wow thanks alot man
would the 3rd method have volume control if my headset had a little thing onthe cord that allows me to control the volume?

but i have another question. I am looking into getting some cheaper computer speakers like from walmart or something that has a sound input and a headset jack.

I was wondering a few things:
1)Cant i just plug the little thing that comes with the VGA cable that turns it into a 3.5 mm into the speakers and connect a headset into the headphone jack?

Xbox------------>------[]-------------O~O
If I were to do this would i need it plugged into the pc to get power? or would the xbox power them through the speaker input?

2)If I was to use speakers would the quality matter, like if i got a more expensive set the sound would be better in the headset compared to a cheaper set?

What thing came with your cable? I bought an off brand cable that came only with the cable. Is it a RCA (the red and white plugs) to 3.5mm female or 3.5mm male? If it's female, you can just plug the headphones into it (and yes, if they have a volume control on the cord, that will work). This is essentially method 3 but with the coupler and RCA-3.5mm in one.

As for the PC, you could plug the 360 into the Line-In of your PC, but then you'd have to have your PC on anytime you play 360. I found this annoying (used to use a similar setup with my VCR a while ago) so I don't use it anymore. As for speakers, the quality will be better with a nicer set, but as for headphone quality, a decent 2.0 set will even be good enough (you don't need to buy $100 speakers, my $50 2.1 Creative Inspire T3100 sound great through the speakers and the headphone port, you could probably use $20 2.0 speakers instead and have the same quality).

If you're really concerned about quality, you can build a headphone amp using many circuits found online (if you can build them).

Sorry for highjacking calc , but I have a DVD Receiver in my Room , can I somehow connect it ? via all that RCA ? I don't need sound since it's connected through itself to 5.1, tell me what I need if its possible....

DVD receiver? Like a surround sound box? If it has RCA inputs, you can connect the 360 to those, but if it has optical, you're going to get better sound using an optical cable to connect the 360 to the receiver. As for video, you can use VGA, component, or DVI (HDMI), as those cords have the optical output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom