Microsoft SCCM Alternative? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Microsoft SCCM Alternative?

Hello, I am looking for an alternative to Microsoft SCCM. I will just be using it for home use. I would like to use SCCM, but it seems like it is way to expensive. Can anybody find any cheap prices on it? I also want some opinions on alternatives.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Microsoft SCCM Alternative?

Just wanting image deployment? Or are you wanting entire enterprise-level manageability in regards to how the systems operate/receive updates/push out software and such?

If you're just wanting mass-imaging... then look into FOG (Free Open-source Ghost).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

Depends on what you want to accomplish, WSUS is free (as in it comes with server 2008 R2).
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Just wanting image deployment? Or are you wanting entire enterprise-level manageability in regards to how the systems operate/receive updates/push out software and such?

If you're just wanting mass-imaging... then look into FOG (Free Open-source Ghost).
I want to do more than mass imaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
Depends on what you want to accomplish, WSUS is free (as in it comes with server 2008 R2).
Basically I just want to practice managing a few PC's. I have about 6 set up at my house so I thought it would be a good way to train and practice on a small scale. I'm a bit confused as to how much SCCM costs.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_23 View Post
I want to do more than mass imaging.

Basically I just want to practice managing a few PC's. I have about 6 set up at my house so I thought it would be a good way to train and practice on a small scale. I'm a bit confused as to how much SCCM costs.
If you just want mass imaging, look into FOG like I stated before.
fogproject.org

I know Jayce on these forums uses it in the school he works at to mass-deploy images (he did at one point I know, anyway).

Requires a main repository server where FOG runs on, and then you can manage anything on the network I believe.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_23
I agree with carnage. Unless you can get it licensed from school, you're stuck with the SCCM trial (which lasts 180 days). The pricing of licensing translates to $1,323 per 2 server processor cores.

E.g. - You want SCCM to run on 1 primary site server and that server uses a dual core cpu, it'd cost $1,323.

Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I see. Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize it was so expensive.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_23 View Post
I see. Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize it was so expensive.
yes it is expensive, a year or more ago I would have directed you to a TechNet subscription which was around $100 a year and provided almost all of their software, but they are ending them and telling people to use the 180day trials. I wish they wouldn't have done this.

On a side not its not all that expensive to a company with a big network with a lot of different things to manage, it can be quite a money saver for some. For instance, xbox live leverages system center and they have roughly 1 admin to about 5000 servers, the beauty of system center is that the more of the suite you use the more automated things become.