Monitor or GPU broken?

flipp1234567

In Runtime
Hi guys so my friend's computer stopped recognizing the monitor. The monitor screen is definitely not dead because it shows things like "hdmi input", "no signal", etc.

His monitor does not recognize his laptop or his desktop. It used to work with his roommate's mac but now does not.

He has tried switching HDMI cable, bought a DVI adapter and tried plugging it into both monitor and computer.

He has also tried hooking up another monitor to his desktop but is not recognized.

I am at a loss as to what may be happening. Any ideas?

His specs (that i can remember) are :
480 8GB
16GB ram

Is there a video card in the machine? Or is it the one built-in to the motherboard? Sounds like the graphics card is dead. Can you see when the machine first POSTS or is there just nothing at all? If you can see it at POST, you should check the BIOS settings. If your friend has a third party graphics card, try connecting the monitor to the on-board graphics and see if you get a picture.

Alternately, it could be something besides graphics as well. If the computer turns on and has been on for a few minutes, but pressing the power button instantly turns it back off, then it's not even getting into the OS and may be the motherboard instead. If it's been on for a few minutes, and pressing and releasing the power button either puts it to sleep or shuts it down after around 30 seconds, then you're likely in the OS and it's graphics related.

Sorry for a few days of no response.
There is a video card in the machine. The machine posts and he gets a picture when it is connected to the on-board graphics.

He is in the OS when the video card is connected. The comptuer does not instantly shuts off once turned on.

We are trying to reinstall the graphics drivers right now and will update soon, probably.

So an update a week later,

Friend sent back his RX480 for repairs and has been using his i5-6600k integrated graphics. Just recently it started dying. Is this from the motherboard failing and his GPU was fine?

Back
Top Bottom