Computer Turns on, GPU Fan Turns on, No Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalls0224

Baseband Member
Hey Guys,

I am having a problem with my video card (BFG 7950GT) that I've had for about 4 months now. I'll try to give as much info as possible.

Randomly I was watching a video on my computer and the computer just froze and went down. The video card fan turned on but the computer locked up. I thought that was strange so I gave it a second then restarted and everything was fine for about a day.

Then, the computer lost video output and the video card fan turned on again. I thought I was overheating the card so I opened the case, cleaned the dust out of everything inside, including the GPU fan and also put a little house fan to blow air onto the card thinking it was overheating. I gave it an hour to cool down and started it back up again.

I wanted to make sure it was the temperature, so I install the nVidia Control Panel to monitor temperatures. I also updated drivers. After about another day, it seemed like the card was fine.

But today, I just came back from being out all night and I left my computer on as I always do, but no with graphic intensive programs running, I even switched to the Vista Basic display, and it was down again. This time I tried everything to get it to come back up with no luck, reseating the card, cleaning, checking the power connection, just about everything I could think of, but nothing.

Finally, I gave up and put back my old card X1650Pro and my computer came up. I checked the logfile from the nVidia Control Panel and found that my computer shut down with a GPU temp of 53 C. In all the monitoring I've done, It has never reported a temp above 63 degrees.

In a nutshell:
Have Vista Home Premium with a 7950GT
Card is about 4 months old
Randomly get no video output to monitor and GPU fan turns on
Often when getting no output the computer still works
Checked temperature, no overheating: max temp 63 C temp before loss of video, 53 C
Updated drivers, no luck
Reseated card, no luck
Checked for dust, fried circuits, PSU, not the issue
Switched to old card X1650Pro, computer works

Any Advice? I really like this card but It's just not working.

Computer Specs
AMD X2 4000+
FSP Group SAGA+ 400R ATX12V 400W Power Supply (Upgraded to support card)
2 GB Ram
250 GB Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom