Building a 64 bit pc from m8120n

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Hello,
I wanna make the most out ofthis m8120n pc thats sitting here. It still worked and the monitor that came with the media pc just died on me (it won't turn on.) So I bought a new one off Craigslist until I buy a newer monitor.

I bought a $200 1050 GTX graphics card on this and I can play CSgo, Starcraft 2 and Dota 2 on full resolution. I wanted to play games like PUBG and Fortnite and even stream those games. Currently I can only stream SC2 successfully. Diablo 3, without even streaming gets laggy when doing rat runs (i.e. having 4 people in screen) and even SC2 playing with 3 or more players lags the game which I think because the CPU is the bottle neck slowing it.

I'm assuming I can keep my tower and just buy a new motherboard, cpu and ram? I'm at a low budget at the moment and don't wanna spend too much and go all out on a new pc. The graphic requirements has already been met and I mainly want to play sc2 with 4 players v 4 players (8 players) and diablo 3 without taking a huge amount of time loading and also be able to keep pace with the other 3 players (4 playesr total in game). So I need a CPU upgrade. I also want to stream d3 successfully and dota 2 successfully.

What can I upgrade just to meet those requirements? What kind of PC should I buy without scraping my old one off and totally buying a new one?

Here's the specs: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01070924

You don't have the CPU horsepower to properly stream, so I would sideline that until you have something better.

The CPU and platform is too old to upgrade to something that can stream properly. In order to do this you would need a complete overhaul, as in CPU, motherboard, and RAM. It would work with your case and PSU, but with how old and tired that PSU is eve with a power sipper like the 1050 I wouldn't put a few hundred worth of parts on it and trust it. That basically leaves the case and drives that can be reused. Nothing that board can take will be good enough to stream and the DDR2 on it can't be moved over to something newer capable of streaming. Something like an i3 8100 would be worlds better than what you're currently on and then you might be able to offload most of the work to the GPU with nvenc.

Back
Top Bottom