Phenom II 940 @ XS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm. At 4GHZ it did 17seconds in SuperPi 1M.
A very slighlty oc'd Q6600 (2.9ghz-3ghz) gets 16 easy.

And??

Superpi is not an accurate measure of performance between amd and intel chips. We all know that intel dominates in it....thats irrelevant here.

Look at 3dmark06 cpu scores:

Q6000 @ 3.9ghz = 5984 http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/t...-03-top-list-153414/index306.html#post1497346

Phenom 940 @ 3.9ghz = 5928 Directupload.net - Daq4vcevs.jpg

with some tweaking...that cpu score can get higher as well.

while i understand and respect what AMD has done, from what you just said rican, amd is one or two generations too late at this point and needs to put out something that can compete with the 45nm quads/duals from Intel not to mention what the i7's brought to the table.. so yeah its great that AMD can put out a really effective piece of hardware, but it's competing against older tech so intel still has a firm grip on the market in my eyes.

More chips are coming...this is just a taste of what amd can bring to the table.

newer chips with more cache, ddr3 and lower tdp are coming. it took a while to get there but theyre finally caught up.

Lets not forget game performance which is what really matters in the end. many people said these chips would not deliver and here is the proof that they were wrong.

I think game performance is a bit of a moot point because games now (with the exception of GTA4) are so gpu limited rather than cpu limited.. Like I was able to play most games out there on my single core celery D and a 9600gt, with the cpu running at 3ghz. its a single core with like 1kb cache.... and my games were fine and definitely limited by the 9600gt, not the cpu.. So until we see more games that rely on the CPU rather than being extremely stressful on the gpu, a processors performance in gaming is a bit of a nullity for me.

the cpu can affect the gpu's performance greatly.

best thing about this chip is it can be dropped into any am2+ board and oc'd easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom