Eyefinity pushes over 24 million pixels with one next-gen Radeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Say you're AMD, and you make graphics chips that nearly double in performance with every generation. Yet games haven't been getting all that much more demanding over time. What would you do with all of that excess power, especially if you wanted to stir up interest in your latest product?

AMD's answer at the moment is a new feature it calls Eyefinity. Here's the basic concept: through the magic of its next-generation GPU and an array of compact DisplayPort connections, a single GPU can drive up to six high-megapixel displays for gaming at resolutions that boggle the mind.The example I saw in action today looked like this:

six-displays.jpg

That's six Dell 30" monitors, each at a resolution of 2560x1600, showing Dead Space at over 24 megapixels. The game ran fluidly, and as you can see, your character on screen is pretty much life-sized, if not a little larger.
More at the source:
Eyefinity pushes over 24 million pixels with one next-gen Radeon - The Tech Report

Six displays off of a single card. Sounds sweet to me. ;)

That's insane. ATI has really stepped up there game with these recent cards and future cards. I wonder what nvidia has in store for this next generation of cards.

That's so hot!!

Doooo want. Both nVidia and AMD are claiming to double or triple the power over the previous series, I hope these are cheap! (I like AMD's marketing philosophy for the HD 4000 series, and hope they keep it like that)

A single card capable of running games at 7680x3200 is freaking insane. The card is also supposed to have 2.15 billion transistors and over 2.5 terraflops of performance which is a massive step forward over rv770 (956m transistors, 1 terraflop).

I'm definitely sold on this technology if the displays from Samsung are up to scratch. Have considered a TH2G twice now and this has come at the right time.

That's just amazing!!! 7680x3200 on one card gaming is incredible. I can't wait until these next-gen cards are released...

Hardware is getting insane, the pc enthusiast world the end of this year is going to be pure awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom