New PC Help *warning* lots of data/text

It ain't 'bout you PP
I'm just saying, people take that **** way too seriously. It's not going to help against malware, spyware, viruses, hackers, or general bull****tery. The only updates that matter are the big incremental ones like SP1 for 7 and anniversary update for 10.

The only part you screwed up on is the 3x24. If you're doing surround or anything past 1 monitor you'll need much better than an RX 480 or 1060.

You want to game? Drop all of the extra BS, the Haswell i7 is obsolete in terms of buying new. If you want the AMD you'll need to OC to play at 1080p resolution and you'll need 3000MHz or faster RAM.

So that leaves you with, stick with one monitor, drop the dumb Maximus board for a cheaper ASRock or MSI, and get the best GPU budget can afford.

You have a 922 based rig, here's one for slightly more with a 1070, a 7700k, and an H60.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/p22g4C

Or you can drop the i7 in favor of an i5 for 32GB of RAM.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NBTdzM

Remember, DDR4 will be around a while, Kabylake chips won't.

im sorry but why would he need to oc to play at 1080?

With my build i have no problem maxing out most games and even the toughest games at high in 1080p with the 1700 and 480?

I seem to have crossed some wires here and got confused. So let me state a few things, and hope for some input.

- I plan to game mainly, 1screen, 1920x1080 resolution.
- I plan to have 1, or 2 extra 'side wings' that have things like ts3/twitch running on them
- while i could benefit from more RAM (all the apps aside, I do edit video, music, and more) 16GB should suffice for a while (the motherboard actually supports more, unlike mine now where capping it off would still be less than the 16gb starter)

I don't have a "price range" but I also don't have a budget, or income to spend on it. This PC will probably be crowd sourced (indiegogo, gofundme, something like that) through donations. That being said - a lower price IS more preferable.

I am not sure why I suddenly though the RX 480 wasn't a "high end card" - so if you have any input on that... please elaborate. (your not the only one, several skip my pick on that and state the 1060, 1070, or 1080's from GTX) I am not sure if they are just biased, or following the year+ gap where AMD was behind, or just fearful of new tech unknowing how it handles (as not many have bought the Rx480/Ryzen to show off)

I don't particularly care GTX or RX, or even "PinkUnicorn" branded, as long as they can get the job done, and handle actual use. I also don't particularly care AMD or Intel - but for some reason I can't get the new AMD out of my head that I should pick it. (which is one of the reasons I wanted some input) You might call it blind faith but I believe it's gonna pay off. (well at least until some facts can prove me wrong, if that happens)

I really only have a color preference, because for some reason I cannot stand the color blue. I also have a like, trust, and past experience that was good for hardware support, stability, and years of service with Asus - so I do prefer them. (I have many Asus products, none have ever had failures, and when tech support was needed, I got it quick from company- this is a 7+ year relationship as a buyer)

i was going to get the asus b350 (the one thats $100) but i kept reading horrible reviews on it so i went with the Gigabyte.

Now this couldve been people being nitpicky but i just didnt want to regret not spending another $10 on my motherboard for more features.

I'm just saying, people take that **** way too seriously. It's not going to help against malware, spyware, viruses, hackers, or general bull****tery. The only updates that matter are the big incremental ones like SP1 for 7 and anniversary update for 10.

I agree.

Windows 7 will be fine for a good while until new technology comes out. If you are worried about security there are plenty of cheap or free anti viruses.

Damn do i miss windows xp....IO remember being in computer engineering when vista came out and i refused to move to it and basically just used XP for years after.

If they couldve kept everything looking like windows xp and just updated features id be soo happy lol.

Last edited:
im sorry but why would he need to oc to play at 1080?

With my build i have no problem maxing out most games and even the toughest games at high in 1080p with the 1700 and 480?

i was going to get the asus b350 (the one thats $100) but i kept reading horrible reviews on it so i went with the Gigabyte.

Now this couldve been people being nitpicky but i just didnt want to regret not spending another $10 on my motherboard for more features.

I agree.

Windows 7 will be fine for a good while until new technology comes out. If you are worried about security there are plenty of cheap or free anti viruses.

Damn do i miss windows xp....IO remember being in computer engineering when vista came out and i refused to move to it and basically just used XP for years after.

If they couldve kept everything looking like windows xp and just updated features id be soo happy lol.
You obviously missed the 3-4 years, or my comment saying "look at the current Ryzen benchmarks with a 1070 at 1080p resolution and if they suit your needs stock FPS wise go with that instead". I clarified all of that in the latest portion of the thread, Ryzen does struggle with 1080p resolution due to the infinity fabric being limited by RAM speed. To some the FPS hamper might not be bad enough to warrant an Intel purchase which is fine.

You obviously missed the 3-4 years, or my comment saying "look at the current Ryzen benchmarks with a 1070 at 1080p resolution and if they suit your needs stock FPS wise go with that instead". I clarified all of that in the latest portion of the thread, Ryzen does struggle with 1080p resolution due to the infinity fabric being limited by RAM speed. To some the FPS hamper might not be bad enough to warrant an Intel purchase which is fine.
Your right i skimmed through and didnt read that part.

OP if you need me to run any benchmarks and let you know my results id be happy to.

I can take out half my ram if your only doing 16gb and i have 3 27" monitors i could use.

Just let me know what youd like to see and ill see what kinda info i can gather for you.

Ideally i wouldve liked to of gone with a 1070 again but when i saw the 480 8gb for $200 i couodnt pass up the savings.

@Ronnie
If your willing to take the time to pop out half your RAM, and have Mass Effect Andromeda, I wouldn't mind asking how well it runs, what graphics level etc, with what I could get to start. Obviously I can get more RAM later.

Just keep in mind I planned to play game on 1 monitor, and have twitch or youtube open on another, and just typical aps on a third. (teamspeak window, notepad, calculator, etc) You wouldn't even have to go through the "3 moni" trouble really, just 2. (as me affording a third monitor isn't for a while)

Mass Effect Andromeda is rather heavy on the PC requirements, so if it runs well, I imagine others will too, could always see how Overwatch runs (if owned) or Fallout 4 (if owned) or Battlefield 1. Just general games works if you own none of them.

@Ronnie
If your willing to take the time to pop out half your RAM, and have Mass Effect Andromeda, I wouldn't mind asking how well it runs, what graphics level etc, with what I could get to start. Obviously I can get more RAM later.

Just keep in mind I planned to play game on 1 monitor, and have twitch or youtube open on another, and just typical aps on a third. (teamspeak window, notepad, calculator, etc) You wouldn't even have to go through the "3 moni" trouble really, just 2. (as me affording a third monitor isn't for a while)

Mass Effect Andromeda is rather heavy on the PC requirements, so if it runs well, I imagine others will too, could always see how Overwatch runs (if owned) or Fallout 4 (if owned) or Battlefield 1. Just general games works if you own none of them.
They'll all run fine if you have a 1070 easily, never said they wouldn't. Just depends on what fps target you're looking for. Each game should easily be over 60fps though.

@Ronnie

Ill test it out this week. Im actually painting my ram now so halfs already out.

Ill have obs runnung on one monitor and the game on the other and see what the high and ultra high run for you.

Edit: Downloading the game now from origins, should have you some benchmarks in the next few days

Edit: well origins let me play before download was 100%.

According to MSI Afterburner with everything set to high I was getting an average of 60FPS with the lowest i saw around 54-55 fps.

I had firefox, windows media player, afterburner, skype, discord, all running in the background (on secondary screen) and my entire rig is on stock settings.

Tomorrow night i will try a little OC and see if i get more and also tweak settings to see what it takes to get higher fps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom