The nerve of some of my housemate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
As some people might now, I live upstairs from my work.

Anyways, I am sharing the living space with 3 others. And the boss is the land lord.
Few week ago, I am setting up the internet for myself and the shop. Currently I have a cable into my bed room from the network down stairs in the shop.

As I am setting up the internet, I got Victor, the guy that lives in the next room equiring about "Are we all getting the internet."

Reply.... no. The internet is for the shop.

Anyways, it's not long before Victor notices that i have the internet on my computer in my bedroom.

Victor :- How come you got the internet.
Me :- (shows mobile phone) I am connecting via that. 25cent per megabyte and you can share.
Victor :- I will be fine.

Anyways, he bugs the land lord / my boss, John, to get a phone line connected. He then started brothering land lord / my boss about getting the ADSL upstairs. John just hand him a ADSL application form and tell him to fill it out.

Today, phone line will be activated some time tomorrow. Victor comes down to the shop asking for pricing on ADSL modems and routers. Not only that, but I got the new unistudent, Andy, bugging me too.
Explain the pricing. And then I get Victor saying "I think I might have a chat with John and see if he can pay for it"
And I am thining to myself "WTF, since when did land lords have to supply internet connection and adsl modem routers"

I tell John about this. And John reply "It's his internet account, he paying for it. If he does not want to pay for a modem, it's his problem not mine"

Meanwhile I am laughing to myself with the idea that some one is going to get stuck paying for ADSL and not have access because he's too cheap to purchase a modem router.

You always have the most awful housemates, lol. I don't know where this guys gets off, I'd be ecstatic if a land lord would pay for my broatband and modem. What a case...

Right now, it myself, victor, george and andy.

Myself and George. We get along. We see eye to eye.
Victor. George does not like Victor. Currently I have no reason to not like victor. However i have noticed that Victor is rather slack and he more or less expect every one else to make up for his short coming. Victor is the reason why i have put $300 dead bolt my door with a CCTV camera in my room as he's been known to leave down stairs open. Other bad habbits is not flushing the tiolet and not cleaning up after himself.
Andy. He's the new guy that moved in 2 week ago. Pretty much gets along with every one. Every he hangs around Victor a lot. And because of that, picking up some of his bad habbits.

The other problem that I am having with these people is that they just because I work for the land lord, they treat me as if I am the land lord's proxy. Lost count the number of times I have some one knock at my door asking me if they could use the phone in the hall way.
Reply normally being "It's not my phone, I don't care"

I just need to keep my noise clean with these 3 as out of every one there, I have the most to loose. Hence both the $300 lock and the CCTV camera in my room.

that just doesn't sound like a fun living environment. I lived with 3 other friends at once in a large house, but we all got along and knew and respected eachother's limitations. I don't think I could handle dealing with some guy's carelesness so much to the point where I would have to go out of my way and buy a $300 lock and camera and pay for it by myself. And living and working under your boss, do you guys get a long fairly well? Is it a huge matter of convenience to live there, aside from the rent being so low? (I assume so as there are many people under the same roof)

Last night I could of killed George. I am in the middle of finalising a sale of a cash register with a client. Like it bad enough that my client is coming after hours. However selling cash registers I make more money than I do on Computers.

Anyways, I am finalising the deal. Then George appears in rare door with a t-shirt and underpance.
George : Can i use the phone upstairs.
Me : Yes. You don't have to ask me this question
Client : (strange look of WTF)
Me : (red faced) sorry about that. The boss has some people living up stares. And if the boss is around, they seem to treat me as the super indendant.
Client : (still strange look of WTF)
Me : Don't worry. I will kill him later. Now about that cash register.....

The stupid thing was I was finally at the point when the client was getting in wallet out to pay for it when George interupted me. After that, I had to spend another 15-20 minutes asking more questions about the cash register. At least the good thing was that I did get the sale in the end.

When I packed up for the evening, the first thing I was doing was telling George the following
1. You don't have to ask me about the phone. I keep tell you that
2. Unless it's business related, do not bother me in the shop front. Especialy when you are not fully clothed.

And living and working under your boss, do you guys get a long fairly well? Is it a huge matter of convenience to live there, aside from the rent being so low? (I assume so as there are many people under the same roof)
Thankfully I don't have to put up with these guys all the time.

Like Victor I rarely see as he's asleep in the morning and he leaves some time during the day to go to work. He does not come back until about 2am in the morning.
George, I might see him briefly afterwork, then he's bed.
Andy is about the only person that is normally awake when I am awake and most of the time he's got his head deep into his uni-studies.

If it was like my last lot of house mates where they worked and sleeped as the same time I do, then I would be going nuts. Right now, it not like i have to put up with that often.

However currently i am forcusing on getting my car loan paid off by next year. And then I will be forcusing my efforts on saving up for a home loan deposit and purchasing an appartment.

I am not trying to sound mean, but I honestly want to know what that aussi-ness means :p
Sorry. My bad. Fixed.

Sounds like your roomies are going about with no little respect, trying to walk on you. Not cool at all.
No. They are trying to screw my boss over on every thing.

The problem is that the boss's wife is rather soft on these things. And normally they will ask her first before asking the boss. And if they get a yes from her, then every thing is okay.
Yesturday, the boss wife comes in with an old Modem Router to give to boys upstairs.

WIFE :- I am going to give the router over to victor so he can use the internet.
ME :- WTF? Excuse me, why? You just took over a computer store. And you are just going to give out freebies, then I don't know why you are paying me a wage. Firstly, it's his credit card and internet account. And you own a computer shop. Why should you care if he can't get online. Secondly, as land lord, I find that it's BS that you should be handing him an internet connection. You have renovated both the bathroom and hallway. You plans to do the kitchen soon too. You are handing enough over to these guys as it. Why give them any thing more.
WIFE :- You have a point there. (put modems away)

Meanwhile, if any one has problems with the computers in the house. I have allready spoke to John about this that I am have no obligation to fix computer for free with these guys. So if they want some thing fixed, I am charging. And if they have a problem, they better speak to Landlord, because I still want to get paid for any work that i do. Especially if it's after hours.

Sorry. My bad. Fixed.

I meant "rare door", that made the whole thing confusing for me:p

Your roomies definitely need to learn some respect. It's a good thing for your boss that you are not just another employee/tenant trying to get a one up on him every time you can. Also since your living situation is more a matter of convenience and not friendship based, it helps your situation in the way that you don't need to feel obligated to do anything, and instead look out for yourself. Keep that up for sure. Just because you work and live there doesn't make you the middle man. Although I could see, from their shoes, why they would come to you before the boss/landlord out of convenience. But like you said, it's not your responsibility at all and you are not the landlord or their hand holder.

Victor's annoying me.

He's just purchased the modem from my work. Now he's expecting to connect it up and set up the router. Currently i am holding my ground as I am not doing it for free because the second i fix one problem, I need to fix every other problem after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom