403 forbiden

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i got this wonderful response when typing in an actual address from a tecnical article. why does this happen? and what triggers it? the article is about salvaging lead acid batteries, and how to make a "desulfinator" that will bring some batteries back from deaths door. address is http://shaka.com/~kalepa.htm

10.4.4 403 Forbidden

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated. If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the reason for the refusal in the entity. If the server does not wish to make this information available to the client, the status code 404 (Not Found) can be used instead.
HTTP/1.1: Status Code Definitions

Server refused your request to view the page, basically.

Well, the site is owned by Flexnet. They list their address as Honolulu. Flagfox says that their server is in the US... somewhere.

so, exactly who is the server? firefox? my isp? or ???

The server is the webserver that the site is hosted on. It's a configuration on the website's end that's saying that file/directory/page is forbidden, or meant to give access denied.

If it's something that's supposed to be available, then I'd contact the website owner and let them know that maybe a configuration got changed that shouldn't have.

i know that i am in the beginner stage of this, but how do you guys figure out who and where this comes from?

You can do a WHOIS on a website (there's sites that allow you to enter in a site's address), and you can get the host / domain registrar's location. The "FlagFox" that Trotter was referring to is a browser extension that says what country the server is located in (based on the IP address).

Also, Dr. Google is your best friend. :tongue:

my head is stuck back in dinosaur times. i do not yet think anything like you guys and gals do. about the only thing i have thought to do is to Wiki a place. which can shed some info. fwiw, aparently Dr. Google used to be a health web site, where some people used to go to try to get health information (using google). go figure. i have just went to Drugs.com or WebMd. i tried to Wiki it, but there was no page at this point. and whois just comes back error. so ????

my head is stuck back in dinosaur times. i do not yet think anything like you guys and gals do. about the only thing i have thought to do is to Wiki a place. which can shed some info. fwiw, aparently Dr. Google used to be a health web site, where some people used to go to try to get health information (using google). go figure. i have just went to Drugs.com or WebMd. i tried to Wiki it, but there was no page at this point. and whois just comes back error. so ????

| ICANN WHOIS

Looks like they're using a WHOIS Proxy to obfuscate their information (privacy reasons most likely).

Back
Top Bottom