web site and forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
k, i posted this earlier, but it was in the wrong section xD

I have ftp space, and i want to put up a website on that, so could someone direct me in the way of a tut on how to do coding and stuff?
Also can i put forums on my ftp? and if i can do that, again, a tutorial or something would be of great help :D

when you say coding...do you mean to get the websites? like html? if so then try HTML Code Tutorial - Free Reference Guide for Help with HTML Tags Including Form, Frames, Tables, and more! and some say the w3 tuts ( HTML Tutorial ) are good.

as for FTP, search google for 'FTP tutorials' and take a gander at them all. here's one i just saw FTP Tutorial, learn how to use FTP, basics, advanced commands, FTP Software Download but basically you just create html files in notepad and then upload them to the correct folder and its done.

hope this helps!

You can upload your forum (PHPBB for instance) to the server via FTP, but in order to install it and use it, you will need a server-side language (PHP for instance) equipped server and the ability to create a database with a user that has full access to that database (MySQL for instance).

Do you have your server specs handy?

i have no idea about the server specs. I just traded my cs:s account for like 20 gigs. lol. i can try and get them tho.

and also, not to be a bother, but I'm not really into the whole coding stuff. I'm more of a hardware, software assessor. So what do you mean by like server side language. I know there's like server side and client side, or something along those lines. But all I know about it is that one is to for the server and the server does stuff with it and the other one the user does things with, which is pretty much DUR! but yea. So if someone could really just explain it all to me that would be fantastic. :D

I'm going to assume that you have PHP and MySQL. To get your forum started, do this:

1) Download PHPBB: phpBB • Downloads
2) Extract it and upload it to a directory on your server where you want it (for instance .../forums/)
3) Create a database for PHPBB. You will also need a username for PHPBB to use, and it will need full access to the database. I can't explain how to do this because that depends on the host and control panel you are using.
4) Run install.php (located in your PHPBB directory, in the install directory- for instance .../forums/install/install.php)
5) What you enter here is pretty obvious and depends on your server settings, database name, username, password, mysql version, etc...

Then once you are finished, it will auto install, and you are all set.

awesome, thanks for the help I'm sure that I'm gonna have lots of questions so I'll just put them up here and hopefully you guys can help me out. thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom