Need help with wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntstopthecrooks

In Runtime
I am getting a new computer and I want to get a wireless adapter that will work perfect i dont care how expensive it is. Upstairs there is a dsl modem running to a lynksys 2.4 ghz router( dont know what its called) . I want to run a wireless connection off that router. Right now i have cheap usb netgear wireless adapter that works HORRIBLE. It wont even get my in home connection good. I also have a linksys adapter but I lost the cds to it and i dont know how to get it configured. I know nothing about comptuer i dont know how to do code and stuff to make it work. I hooked up with router and all i know is it doesnt work well. Once in a while my netgear adapter will mooch off the neighbors internet. If i get a good adapter it should work well with my neighbors, because I'm not sure if my router upstairs is even hooked up right so that i can run wireless internet. I need the best adapter i can find and I'm also willing to buy a bridge or whatever its called to make the connection longer and stabeler. I also would like to know if anyone could help me on setting up my router properly . I have no cds and ive tryed downloading off the linksys website and when i install the set up instructions it says i need the cd so i mite even need a new router. HELPPPPPP!

The Linksys adapter you lost the CD for......you can simply look at the model and go on linksys.com and get the insturction and driver. Buying a new wireless adapter probably won't help you out, what you need is a good repeater/extender that can be plug downstair or whereever you want to help amplify your wireless signal.

You don't need the CD to setup your router, it's painlessly easy. Here's the step.

On a computer that is working and have access to the Internet, do the following to get into your router's configuration:

Go to Start>Run, and type CMD

You are at the command prompt, type the command ipconfig /all

Notice under your adapter, the IP address for your Default Gateway

Enter that IP address into Internet Explorer

The user name and password should be admin

Locate the tab for your wireless setting

If its a Linksys router, the username is blank and the password is "admin"

Ok on the upstairs computer i went to the ip adress went to my wireless setting or whatever and everything looked fine, but now when i come downstairs it wont let me log into the account when i type in my i.p adress although the same password and account worked up stairs? you guys know what the problem could be?

Sometime wireless management is disable for security reason. So a computer connected with wireless won't be able to manage the router. You'll probably have to enable the feature if you want to.

Check these out from Netgear WGXB102 - NETGEAR.com

There are two devices, the XE102 is what plugs into your router and the power outlet creating a LAN and the WGX102 plugs into the power outlet to create the extended wireless signal.

You can buy more WGX102 to extend your signal even further in your home but you only need 1 XE102.

finally got my internet working , was pretty complicated because im a newb with my computers never thought i could do it but now when i get my new computer ill be able to do it right away thanks everyone for all there help and thank u especially law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom