A+ test update

Gotta start somewhere - if you don't have experience the A+ is a great start. Hopefully with that certification someone will give you a chance in IT. In my experience, once you have your foot in the door it's all gravy from there (with hard work).

Some really good posts here. I was the same. Got my foot into the door with an unrelated interest and moved into IT internally. But once I did, I gained cert after cert. At one point I had 18 certifications but then ran into personal issues. It didn't matter at that point though because I had enough on my resume.

If you are looking to get into the door, A+ is recommended but honestly it is more about confidence and execution. If you are confident about your abilities then tell them that (and offer to show them) rather than show them a piece of paper.

I'm the same as mike, i was in an unrelated field and got my A+ and Net+, once i had those i started applying and got a help desk position. From there i worked hard and continued getting experience and education. Now i'm a system admin and have multiple certifications.

once i had those i started applying and got a help desk position.

I was a front office manager at a hotel that knew enough about MS Windows (Win 95 then) to be dangerous. So I began snooping over the network and decided that a re-organization of the different departments' files and folders was in order. Then, one by one the department heads called the IT Director and asked... "Where the F... are my files???" So the IT Director came up to the front desk one day and said, "Hey Michael, I've noticed that you have been really savoy with Windows and helping out the employees here understand and operate the computers... "... you wouldn't have, per chance, moved anything around recently?" I admitted that I did and he laughed and then brought me back to the server room and said "OK Michael... this is the Novell Server (3.11 then) that runs the network... "

For the next 2 years, he took me along as his "IT Assistant". After that I feel into a help desk job. I'll never ever ever ever work help desk again. Too many idiots (callers and co-workers alike) and not enough take out Chinese food :)

Haha awesome stuff mike, my last job before an official IT job had nothing to do with computers, but it was a small company so i ended up doing random computer things like running cables, fixing desktops, ect. So on my resume when i started applying for IT jobs i emphasized the IT things that i did at my other job.

I think the moral here is you have to get some type of break. It sucks but it's the truth. No one is ever really hired in IT w/o experience - but how do you get experience to land your first job. it's a catch 22. You need something to give you a chance.

Haha awesome stuff mike, my last job before an official IT job had nothing to do with computers, but it was a small company so i ended up doing random computer things like running cables, fixing desktops, ect. So on my resume when i started applying for IT jobs i emphasized the IT things that i did at my other job.

I think the moral here is you have to get some type of break. It sucks but it's the truth. No one is ever really hired in IT w/o experience - but how do you get experience to land your first job. it's a catch 22. You need something to give you a chance.

I have never done a call center job and I don't think I'd want to however if you wanna get started somewhere, you might have to.
I've seen some jobs mention 50+ calls a day...

Wow that's crazy.... Do you still have a job that deals with computers?

To say the least, yes.

Otherwise.....
I'm a network engineer but I'm familiar with hardware repair (down to soldering conductors and resisters... not just plugging a video card into a slot), software development (11 languages) In fact, Starbucks Coffee still uses my backup program to this date (SBUX Backup).. If you are in a Starbucks store that is outside the USA, UK, and Canada, they use my software), website development (13 languages and protocols), overall project management, large wifi projects (the town of Healdsberg, CA was my project as was the Washington State Ferry System (all ferries except for the Victoria Clipper..Canada owns it.....Chances are... if you are on a ferry in Washington State and get a Verizon signal on your phone it is because of Verizon's signal and me setting it up on the boat), I could go on...

I started out in a call center taking around 100 calls a day for a large family restaurant chain. Moved up to a level 2 after 2 years then a few months later moved to a different company doing an expanded desktop support role.

It's been extremely fast moving but i've loved it.

Back
Top Bottom