Bad News :\

Matt77

Daemon Poster
Well, went to the repair shop today, time for a smog test.
The truck failed the test because the Smog computer had been reset due to a faulty battery, so I have to drive it around again to get a cycle.
We also had it inspected, and it's going to cost a significant amount of $ to get it in tip-top shape again

New oil pan, gasket, and drain/filter- $300 including labor
Replace hoses- $100 including labor
Replace rubber seals- $200 including labor
new brakes and rotors, front and rear- $500 including labor
4 new tires, but Mitchelin's are the only tire brand used in my family, so not cheap
sad.gif
$1000 including labor
New engine belt- $40 w/o labor
New battery- $200
New shocks- $500+ w/olabor
New spark plugs- $?
Radiator service-$?
Transmission service-$?
and of course...
a detail car wash-$150

Does anyone know where I can LOCALLY source these parts or services cheap in Los Angeles? And OEM is preferred (AC Delco, etc.)
This is going to put a serious dent in my wallet
needhug.gif

The shocks are really scaring me... and it sounds as if the alternator is going out. I want the pumps, etc ALL inspected and tested cheaply too...

Thanks,
Matt77

What kind of truck is this? If its a large truck then you may consider getting rid of it for something smaller and cheaper to own. If you plan on paying near-as-makes-no-difference $3000 to get your truck back up to spec, you'd be better off selling it and making payments on a newer vehicle that doesn't require immediate maintenance.

That said...

I will never use michelin tires. They are the lowest value tires available. Other brands of tires perform just as well for much less money.

You need to determine what size tires you need and what purposes you intend to use them. Off road driving, snow, ice, etc. If you're in LA and you only ever drive it on the road where its dry or wet, you probably don't need expensive all-season tires (Or a truck, for that matter). Get in contact with a representative from Tirerack.com and get some suggestions for tires. Research on their site and when you decide what tire you want, find the best price somewhere else. A tire is a tire. Buying the same tire cheaper from somewhere else doesn't mean you get an inferior tire.

What are you planning for transmission service? How many miles since the last service? Automatic transmissions should be serviced near every 100k miles or so. Some newer transmissions have a 160k service interval. If you're just wanting to change out the fluids and filters, that's probably going to run about $200. You may want to consider whether or not you need to service anything.

Also consider getting a Hayne's manual and doing some of the work yourself. Disc brakes, for instance, are super easy to work on with basic tools. If you can work on a computer, you can work on a car.

Last edited:
Hayne's manuals are good but be prepared o figure a bit out for yourself, they are not thorough.
Also, try the following websited using your zip code ot locate a store.
I always check Autozone, AdvancedAutoParts, Napa, and sometimes O'Rileys for the cheapest parts.
AutoZone | Auto Parts & Accessories | Repair Guides & More
Advance Auto Parts: Car, Engine, Batteries, Brakes, Replacement, Performance & Accessories
NAPA AUTO PARTS - Home
Home Page | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Edit: Some of what the shop said you needed sounds like BS imo. Also, you may be able to do some of the work yourself. If you are new to auto work, start researching.
You may want to get a second opinion at another shop to see if all of that is needed to pass inspection.
EricTheCarGuy - YouTube
Car Repair Made Easy With Scotty - YouTube
Both of the above are great for learning how to repair things on your vehicle. Scotty basically summarizes the process and tells you what you need (tools). While, Eric tends to show you the entire process, or close to it.

Last edited:
What kind of truck is this? If its a large truck then you may consider getting rid of it for something smaller and cheaper to own. If you plan on paying near-as-makes-no-difference $3000 to get your truck back up to spec, you'd be better off selling it and making payments on a newer vehicle that doesn't require immediate maintenance.

That said...

I will never use michelin tires. They are the lowest value tires available. Other brands of tires perform just as well for much less money.

You need to determine what size tires you need and what purposes you intend to use them. Off road driving, snow, ice, etc. If you're in LA and you only ever drive it on the road where its dry or wet, you probably don't need expensive all-season tires (Or a truck, for that matter). Get in contact with a representative from Tirerack.com and get some suggestions for tires. Research on their site and when you decide what tire you want, find the best price somewhere else. A tire is a tire. Buying the same tire cheaper from somewhere else doesn't mean you get an inferior tire.

What are you planning for transmission service? How many miles since the last service? Automatic transmissions should be serviced near every 100k miles or so. Some newer transmissions have a 160k service interval. If you're just wanting to change out the fluids and filters, that's probably going to run about $200. You may want to consider whether or not you need to service anything.

Also consider getting a Hayne's manual and doing some of the work yourself. Disc brakes, for instance, are super easy to work on with basic tools. If you can work on a computer, you can work on a car.
This x100. FFS it is SO hard explaining to people that rubber on your damn car wont make any difference unless it is for a special purpose. That includes:
  • Racing (drag or track)
  • Off-Road purpose built
  • Snow, Ice, or Rain
  • Construction - Farming

If none of the above are checked, get the cheapest tire you can find with a speed rating slightly higher than your average highway speed limit and you're good to go. Nothing else makes a difference. If you only drive on the road from point A to point B every day you don't need a 2ft jacked up truck with 32" tires with tread deeper than the width of my arm.
If you don't drag race you don't need drag radials on your car. If you don't track race or have a car that can sustain 120MPH then you don't need the highest rating tire available with race tread. That is plain wasting money.

Eh, I wouldn't say it makes no difference, buying a known brand name vs buying something cheap like Nankang will make a difference, but You can definitely save money by NOT buying Michelins.

To the every day driver it makes absolutely no difference. My fiance couldn't tell the difference between the Falken tires I put on there brand new or the used 30 dollar randoms I put with similar tread. The only difference people notice is the price.

Allright
I was given a certain model number for the Michelins, recommended by the mechanic, a family friend. I go to many construction sites, tow, and offroad with the truck, so good tires are a must.
Truck looks just like this:

DSCN0836.jpg

This truck is a Chevy Avalanche 1500 with a 2500 modded in, and an Allison Transmission swap, all work done by Galpin Auto Works. My dad made the mistake of not getting the 2500 until it was too late. I think I'm going to remove the 2500 and Allison, I don't need that much torque, and it uses a ton of gas. Selling it isn't an option, it was very expensive when we got it ($55,000 cash OTD) and it has sentimental value, it saved my dad's life. I don't think it's ever been really serviced, I used an OBDII reader, it's never had a check engine light or anything.

To do:

oil pan, gasket, and drain/filter- I don't have time, or the lift to do this
brakes and rotors, front and rear-Purchased, need to have the rotors refinished
4 new tires- pending
New engine belt- Needs to be done
New shocks- Needs to be done
Radiator service- I don't think it's necessary
Transmission service-Should it be done?

I've done all the other work myself, it's easy enough to do without a manual. I have my dad look at it, to confirm. He's good with cars, he reassembled an entire Land Rover in a couple hours XD

Tires are free installation, belt is a pain in the ass to change out, with the oversized engine, shocks need a lift, which I don't have, oil pan needs a lift and parts which are expensive locally, brakes are easy, radiator does it need to be serviced at 109,000 miles? Transmission- I'm not going to service it, just add some oil myself- it's an Allison transmission. Allison's are tough as nails, and are used in tanks, so I don't think it needs a service just yet. I'll probably swap it out with the normal tranny.

Matt was here :)

This truck was

Back
Top Bottom