ZOTAC ION GPU Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to tell you that if I had not read your thread, I would be in the same frustrated perdicument. I thought something must be wrong with my video card or with my power supply. I swapped them out and still nothing. I tried to install that card into another computer and it work. I purchased the Zotac Ion x1 by the way if anyone is interested.

So after I read the thread I knew it was dangerous, but had to try to solve the problem. So i booted up and during the windows bootup I took the card out and put it back in in 2 seconds. I then had to insert the VGA cord to the original internal board and not the video card. I think install the drivers and rebooted the card and unpull the VGA cord and inserted it to the video card and bam it worked. Thanks so much. You save me from a frustrating night.

Anyone who is reading this thread, DO NOT do what you have just read!!!

It's reckless, dangerous, and extremely stupid!!!

They might have gotten lucky and gotten away with it but the chances are you WILL NOT!

This can not only ruin multiple very expensive parts but can cause you serious harm!

Please don't and if you have try not to post about it so you give other people the thought that this might be a good idea.

The solution sounds insane, but actually makes sense. Several old Dell boxes reserve the x1 slot for specific functions. Usually sound related. It works in video mode right up to the plug and play check, then the system tries to associate it with a sound card. Doesn't help that it is somewhat of a sound card as well since it can push sound out the HDMI slot.

Unplugging the card while the system is trying to auto-select it as a sound card forces the system to actually look at the card. This lets you actually set it as a video device and install drivers.

I figured this out when my Dell actually recognized the card as a sound device, then crashed. Pulling the card isn't as horrible as one might think. At worse, you will ruin the card and possibly the Mobo. I can't imagine anything short of trying to eat the power supply while standing in a pool of water actually killing you.

Usually, a bad touch will just make the computer reset and give you a tickily feeling, just don't apply this logic to any of the larger capacitors in larger appliances and you should live a whole and wonderful life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom