Xtremesystems.org HACKED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An admin of a site should always know the weaknesses of the system you are using. Anything less is simply ignorance. Or you are just the unlucky bastard who got hacked first by an attacker.

Dammit dude, youa re missing the point. Mods are members who now have control over the posts. Admins are the guys at the servers. Yea, so they are excellent at overclockign and seemingly dont know other stuff about computers. The admins who run the servers most likely dont know much about overclocking, but they run the SERVERS, therefore know what they are doing. The simple fact is is that it was hacked. There are going to be people at that forum who know a shiteload, and are quite proficient when it comes to hacking, and something pissed them off (maybe got banned) therefore hacked it.

Did I mention they are using VBuilletin and NOT PHPBB?

It looks as though you are simply looking for a way to shoot someone down, IE. XS. Why? Simple fact that they got hacked, and you are jumping to conclusions that they are morons who dont know how to set up a server? Members reflect NOTHING on the admin. If they did, because of Dale, Larry would be considered the biggest idiot of all time... But he's not.

There is no system that is 100% hacker proof, and there is NO WAY you can know EVERY SINGLE WEAKNESS of your system. If you did, than it could be hacker proof, but that simply does not exist. Flaws always exist everywhere, and it is virtually impossible to find every single one of those flaws and plug them.

It's up Dark Sniper.. No problems accessing it. Anyways, I think we should hold off on further discussions about this until Chris and Him finishes "discussing" the issue between them :p.. :)

It keeps timing out for me as well.

I just want to know where Chirs gets off making that gross assumption about the admins being idiots over at XS, all because one fool told him something that was completely wrong. Wherre does he get off saying he is so much better than them, and that they dont know how to configure a server simply because it was hacked or otherwise defaced. I dont understand his logic.

Anyway, discussion finished. XS was defaced somehow, either by a moron not knowing what they were doing or by a hacker, point is it happened. I still cannot access it, still times out. Either it has some heavy ass traffic, or there is still something screwy with their servers.

Nothing wrong for me. Loaded fast everytime in the last hour. Which could mean someone is lauching a DoS attack on them right now.. And they might just be filtering certain ip adress ranges out.. Who knows :).. Sucks to be an XS admin.. hehe

Can't really do much about these types of attacks. But letting a hacker deface your website is however, extremely poor. That should never happen.

Well typically it means that you change the content that is displayed to some end user who visits the site. This would involve the changing of the "content" of the site by the hacker. This is why it is so poor to let it happen. Obviously, this is much worse than Denial of Service attacks for example.

They either:
1) Explored a weakness in the system they are using (which "should've" been patched up)
2) Had easy admin passwords that could've been guessed or allowed others to monitor the passwords
3) Didn't set up the system properly - timing out with admin accounts, other incorrect security configurations etc.
4) URL redirection methods (even though personally I don't believe this is "defacement" in the strictest sense)
5) Allow trojans, etc - which is just poor pratice by the admins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom