XP x64 or Vista x64?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My build can be seen here: Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg plus a 7900GS overclocked and another 250gb hard drive

I won't be doing much gaming, if any at all. My main uses are photo editing, some graphic design (logos, typefaces, non-3d), web design, music listening and composition, web browsing, pr0n.

The idea of XP x64 being a little leaner appeals to me A LOT, but how is its stability....it's built on the server platform right?

Thoughts? Why XP or why Vista?
I'm using XP x64 as my main OS, (nlited), with 8GB RAM, and it's really fast and stable, and does everything I want it to do. I highly doubt that a tweaked Vista could match the speed and responsiveness I have with the way I've set it up.

As far as people caling it a 'sort of beta' in terms of stability, I can tell you that's absolutely not the case if you have SP2. If you slipstream SP2, and an update pack (for example those from RyanVM), it will be basically server stable. I can have it running for weeks, no reboots, without problems.
It might have had stability issues without service packs. But exactly the same can be said for XP 32 and Vista.

So why'd I choose XP x64?
Basically, I wanted to stick with XP, being faster, but I also wanted to run 64-bit programs, and more than 4GB RAM.

it get that delay write error even if you copy it 5 minutes ago. then the drive won't work anymore. it doesn't do all of the time but it do it too much

it's xp 64 biggest complaint
I haven't had any issues with external drives. And I tried googling it and didn't see anything about a bug that would kill USB drives. I'd probably suspect a hardware issue with the USB ports or something.

I'm using XP x64 as my main OS, (nlited), with 8GB RAM, and it's really fast and stable, and does everything I want it to do. I highly doubt that a tweaked Vista could match the speed and responsiveness I have with the way I've set it up.

As far as people caling it a 'sort of beta' in terms of stability, I can tell you that's absolutely not the case if you have SP2. If you slipstream SP2, and an update pack (for example those from RyanVM), it will be basically server stable. I can have it running for weeks, no reboots, without problems.
It might have had stability issues without service packs. But exactly the same can be said for XP 32 and Vista.

So why'd I choose XP x64?
Basically, I wanted to stick with XP, being faster, but I also wanted to run 64-bit programs, and more than 4GB RAM.

I haven't had any issues with external drives. And I tried googling it and didn't see anything about a bug that would kill USB drives. I'd probably suspect a hardware issue with the USB ports or something.

You don't have any problems with finding drivers?

Thats the main problem that I have seen, for example the new Beta for ZA is for Xp x86 Vista x86 and Vista x64.. No where did I read it would support XP x64.

I have seen many things not support it.. maybe MS is trying to squish support or maybe there is not enough demand for them to write the drivers..

it's not listed as a problem. but when almost everybody that you know that's using it (including people here) have had that issue (especially after the copy and paste), it's an issue. I personally never have the issue in xp 32 after a copy and paste

You don't have any problems with finding drivers?

Thats the main problem that I have seen, for example the new Beta for ZA is for Xp x86 Vista x86 and Vista x64.. No where did I read it would support XP x64.

I have seen many things not support it.. maybe MS is trying to squish support or maybe there is not enough demand for them to write the drivers..
I think it's highly likely Microsoft is trying to squish support for it. Same goes with XP 32 though.
Though I've personally only ever had a problem with a couple of wireless cards.
I ended up getting an Atheros-based wireless card specifically because I could get XP x64 drivers for it - and plenty exist (I think a lot of broadcom-based cards have XP x64 drivers too), though they are not always included with the cards. But you do have to watch for it sometimes, for non-common hardware.

On the other hand, non-common hardware is often the kind that's fairly cheap, and that you don't replace often. So it would probably be worth getting a piece of hardware knowing it will support XP x64, that isn't going to be replaced for a long time. (I paid about AU$25 for my wireless card, and am not likely to replace it for a while)

But for hardware from AMD/ATI, Nvidia, Intel, Via, Creative, Logitech, Razer, and pretty much every motherboard manufacturer I've seen, there are XP x64 drivers. And that's basically 99% of desktop systems which use 64-bit processors covered.
it's not listed as a problem. but when almost everybody that you know that's using it (including people here) have had that issue (especially after the copy and paste), it's an issue. I personally never have the issue in xp 32 after a copy and paste
I've gone through plenty of XP x64 installations (including SP1 and SP2) with various hardware, and haven't come across that issue even once.
I don't want to call you a liar or anything, but you're the only person I know that's had that happen.

I think it's highly likely Microsoft is trying to squish support for it. Same goes with XP 32 though.
Though I've personally only ever had a problem with a couple of wireless cards.
I ended up getting an Atheros-based wireless card specifically because I could get XP x64 drivers for it - and plenty exist (I think a lot of broadcom-based cards have XP x64 drivers too), though they are not always included with the cards. But you do have to watch for it sometimes, for non-common hardware.

On the other hand, non-common hardware is often the kind that's fairly cheap, and that you don't replace often. So it would probably be worth getting a piece of hardware knowing it will support XP x64, that isn't going to be replaced for a long time. (I paid about AU$25 for my wireless card, and am not likely to replace it for a while)

But for hardware from AMD/ATI, Nvidia, Intel, Via, Creative, Logitech, Razer, and pretty much every motherboard manufacturer I've seen, there are XP x64 drivers. And that's basically 99% of desktop systems which use 64-bit processors covered.
I've gone through plenty of XP x64 installations (including SP1 and SP2) with various hardware, and haven't come across that issue even once.
I don't want to call you a liar or anything, but you're the only person I know that's had that happen.

do a post check of me talking about this here since you going all out of the way to insinuate that I'm a liar. I'm not going to do it for you. at least 2 guys here talked about it when i mention it. I killed 3-4 hard drives on xp 64bit before I left it alone.

that was on 2 completely different versions of xp 64bit. I thought that particular first version was the problem so I got another one. I've have friends have the exact same issue. one didn't put it together that 64bit was the problem until i pointed that out to him. but I really don't care if you believe me or not.

check my my history here. I may be a lot of things but I was never a lair. when I gang banged when i was younger, that was one of the thing that made me so respected in the gang community. because most gang bangers lie, cheat and steal. I just beat up people. I was the guy that everybody want to leave their stuff with when they went to prison because they knew nothing would happen to it. i was also the only guy never to go to prison.

I was the guy that was once confront by 10-15 individuals who ask me was I then that was talking trash to them when i was with my posse. that happens a lot in the gang world. usually the guy that by himself will try to lie his way out of it before he get jumped because he want to escape.

I said yeah that it was me, then I got my beat down. why lie? it was going to happen anyway. but that little incident gave me more clout in the gang world. 1st thing first, I a man. the number one man rule is "your word is your bond"

I know that you new generation guys don't know any thing about that, but I do. so you could have kept that stupid comment to yourself, because it really wasn't called for.

just because you haven't encounter it, you think that I'm lying. why would I make something like that up. if you notice I said that it doesn't happen everything that you copy and paste, it just happen too often to be considered normal.

do like i do. i use to copy and paste on the 64 bit side on my dual OS because it could transfer files a lot faster. it still do. if you copy stuff to another ide drive you have no problem. I, got over 5,000 gig of stuff on my 4 house computers so it made sense to copy and paste my huge file collection in 64 bit. I try to have my music and video collection back up on every computer in case something happens to one of them. My only issue?

sometimes after copy to a usb drive when you think that it was done and you unplug the usb it would say delay write failed. when it said that in 64 bit the drive was officially dead. now there was a couple of times that I had that exact same error in 32 bit xp over the years, but the drive would still work. that file just wouldn't copied over correctly

you start copying huge files to a usb hdd on a continous basis in 64 bit, then you can see for yourself what happens.

All I have to say is that I have never encountered this problem.

With that said if EricB says he has encountered it then it IS a problem. I consider myself lucky not to have run into this.

do a post check of me talking about this here since you going all out of the way to insinuate that I'm a liar. I'm not going to do it for you. at least 2 guys here talked about it when i mention it. I killed 3-4 hard drives on xp 64bit before I left it alone.

that was on 2 completely different versions of xp 64bit. I thought that particular first version was the problem so I got another one. I've have friends have the exact same issue. one didn't put it together that 64bit was the problem until i pointed that out to him. but I really don't care if you believe me or not.

check my my history here. I may be a lot of things but I was never a lair. when I gang banged when i was younger, that was one of the thing that made me so respected in the gang community. because most gang bangers lie, cheat and steal. I just beat up people. I was the guy that everybody want to leave their stuff with when they went to prison because they knew nothing would happen to it. i was also the only guy never to go to prison.

I was the guy that was once confront by 10-15 individuals who ask me was I then that was talking trash to them when i was with my posse. that happens a lot in the gang world. usually the guy that by himself will try to lie his way out of it before he get jumped because he want to escape.

I said yeah that it was me, then I got my beat down. why lie? it was going to happen anyway. but that little incident gave me more clout in the gang world. 1st thing first, I a man. the number one man rule is "your word is your bond"

I know that you new generation guys don't know any thing about that, but I do. so you could have kept that stupid comment to yourself, because it really wasn't called for.

just because you haven't encounter it, you think that I'm lying. why would I make something like that up. if you notice I said that it doesn't happen everything that you copy and paste, it just happen too often to be considered normal.

do like i do. i use to copy and paste on the 64 bit side on my dual OS because it could transfer files a lot faster. it still do. if you copy stuff to another ide drive you have no problem. I, got over 5,000 gig of stuff on my 4 house computers so it made sense to copy and paste my huge file collection in 64 bit. I try to have my music and video collection back up on every computer in case something happens to one of them. My only issue?

sometimes after copy to a usb drive when you think that it was done and you unplug the usb it would say delay write failed. when it said that in 64 bit the drive was officially dead. now there was a couple of times that I had that exact same error in 32 bit xp over the years, but the drive would still work. that file just wouldn't copied over correctly

you start copying huge files to a usb hdd on a continous basis in 64 bit, then you can see for yourself what happens.

don't just make a stupid jerk reaction because it didn't kill your drive when that you once copied a 10 meg file to your pen drive
I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't calling you a liar. I'm sure you did lose a couple of drives.
But I'm just not sure that XP x64 is the culprit behind it - and have never had it happen in all the times I have used USB drives (including magnetic hard drives) with XP x64 edition, which I have plenty of experience with.

I can't imagine why a piece of software would permanently cause a hard drive to stop functioning.

Basically, I'm not trying to insult or imply that anybody is lying. My only goal is to get to the truth - and to be blunt, even people who are trying to give information that they believe is correct, can be wrong.
But this isn't about who is right or wrong, and whether you are right or wrong in this instance isn't going to make me think less of you or anything. I'm just trying to be scientific and get to the truth.

I think you misunderstand me. I wasn't calling you a liar. I'm sure you did lose a couple of drives.
But I'm just not sure that XP x64 is the culprit behind it - and have never had it happen in all the times I have used USB drives (including magnetic hard drives) with XP x64 edition, which I have plenty of experience with.

I can't imagine why a piece of software would permanently cause a hard drive to stop functioning.

Basically, I'm not trying to insult or imply that anybody is lying. My only goal is to get to the truth - and to be blunt, even people who are trying to give information that they believe is correct, can be wrong.
But this isn't about who is right or wrong, and whether you are right or wrong in this instance isn't going to make me think less of you or anything. I'm just trying to be scientific and get to the truth.

I got you. i sometime get mad when I got to defend myself in the corporate world. people try to judge me with they see my old record and realize that I use to gang bang. they think that i'm a criminal or something since I have a record. they don't know that i'm more honest than them.

they won't deal or work with me for this reason sometimes. but people that know me, know that i'm the guy that will take the shirt off of my back to give to you when you are hurting and I will never steal anything. But a lot of places won't let me get my foot in the door for that reason.

now if was just me having these problem I wouldn't blame 64 bit. I've just ran across too many people who had the same issue. I have vista 64 bit on one of my system and I'm scared to put a usb hdd on it just because of my experience with xp64

I apologize. that's one of the thing you can do to me that will make me mad as heck, because corporate America associate an old criminal record with dishonesty

Ooo when the 10k+ post counts collide...... I think xp-64 bit is not worth it the support is being squished when it was never great from the beggining and there are issues with it that I have heard. Apokalipse has been lucky to of not experienced to many problems but I think thats mainly due to indepth research before any decision is made as thats the type of guy he seems and a supernatural ability to win blackjack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom