XP HOME (rolls Eyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADZ

Fully Optimized
I have 2 Windows XP Home Machines both connected into a hub which is connected to my cable modem.

They can both connect to the internet. WS1 can see WS2 and vice versa. However, when you go to browse the files, it gives the permission error.

I have installed NetBeui on both machines.

They are both set to MSHOME as their Workgroup.

Cant get my brain around this one.

Any Ideas?

:rolleyes:

make sure your shares have the correct permissions set. also, you can turn on simple file sharing (if it's not already on). it's in the Folder Options menu

There is not Simple File Sharing in Windows XP Home.

The shared folders have the proper permission settings.

What users are you using to log into eac machine? Do you have accounts setup on each system?

yeah i created 2 'Test' Accounts 1 on each comp, both have admin privelages.

make sure you have the built in firewall disabled when you use the network wizard it automaticly sets there and wont let you connect to the other computer its one of my favorite features!

I've noticed when XP is not run as part of a domain, the file sharing really bites.... you get so much trouble for something that should be simple....

O well, it should all get worked out sooner or later....SP3??:)

Both connections are firewalled, shall i disable them and then run the network connection wizzard again?

I was advised by someone to remove the NIC Drivers, reboot, then reinstall network. Is that advisable?

Anyone got any other ideas?

well you can try and configure them i think but it would be easier to just disable them and download a free firewall like zone alarm or depending on how concerned you are about security just go with no firewall (the firewalls is why you cant connect right now so dont add/remove and drivers)

Don't uninstall your NIC drivers, that isn't necessary at this point. You can either disable the firewall or add each PC to the firewall's "trusted" zone so communication can occur between the PC's.

You can run a simple test by pinging the computers. If you get a reply then you know there is communication between the PC's and we can continue with this task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom