Home Network Advice

Problem with Power Line adapters is they almost always have to be used on the same circuit, chances are that won't be feasible in OP's situation.

The new power line boxes use the neutral wire, which crosses over both sides of a 240v circuit in a residential home. Not an issue because all the neutral lines all have a common junction block inside the circuit box

Last edited:
House is about 60 years old- I have added outlets and updated the main box , and changed out many of the old outlets. But, I am at the end of a power run and a the electricity is extremely poor quality -even the local power company finally admitted to it- but wont do anything about it. I use my generator several times per year due to the power lines being older, or poor quality ,etc. . I use a voltage regulator/ surge protector, with battery power backup on places that i have higher end electronics due to the voltage spikes/lows, etc. I experience = +10/-10 voltage regularly. SO, I don't think I will use my power lines for my network.

No doubt it would be less expensive- but I can see major hassles down the road. I also don't see me being patient enough to buy bulk cable and having to make my own ends,etc. At my age I prefer to spend a bit more and get the job done correctly and as quick as possible without hassles. Time is money so they say.

The weekend was a blurr so I have not investigated any more regarding modems, switchers ,etc.

No doubt it would be less expensive- but I can see major hassles down the road. I also don't see me being patient enough to buy bulk cable and having to make my own ends,etc. At my age I prefer to spend a bit more and get the job done correctly and as quick as possible without hassles. Time is money so they say.

It's honestly not hard at all.

After the first few, you'll be flying through them with ease.

Power line ethernet does not use the electricity in your home, just the wiring so power outages from poor in coming lines should not have any effect. The power line ethernet was only ment as another option that you could consider, That's the reason I brought it up. Running cat 5/6 would be the most reliable method to bring internet to other rooms in your home, and it's really not a lot of extra work to install your own ends on the cat 5/6 cable, or if your going with wall plates with keystone jacks you won't need to install the ends. Honestly, I have never seen any wall plates that have jacks that you can just plug into. The wall plates would look much nicer than having a cable hanging out of the wall, but more work to install

YA- but it is tough to figure the list out- many of the links they have fail so I cant figure out the speed/etc of each "approved" modem.

Another option = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122014

Because it has a built in wireless router -so much cheaper than buying both - just not convinced on the quality and whether is it Comcast "approved" or not.

Found a new list updated for 2015 - and the one I linked is "approved".

Edit- nevermind - that modem/router combo is getting hammered by reviews.

Last edited:
oK- decided to do the bulk STP cat6 cabling with keystone punchdown ends and plates.

Getting this tool kit :

Professional Networking Tool Kit - Monoprice.com

this cable :

1000FT Cat 6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable STP, Solid, In-Wall Rated (CMG), 550MHz, 24AWG - Blue - Monoprice.com

So - any ideas on what type of conduit to use when I d go the the basement outside up to the attic? It will have one coax cable and 3 of the cat6 linked above.

Also still have not decided on the 16 port GB unmanaged switch either.

Honestly, you don't NEED to run it inside conduit if you use the proper staples every 12 or 16 inches. If I was to do conduit, I would just get PVC pipe large enough to handle that bundle of cable. Wait till you get the Coax and Cat6 to see how thick that bundle will be, and remember, 90 degree bends is harsh on the network cable when pulling it through.

Back
Top Bottom