Wow GIANT Crysis news! DX10 on XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
eh. i can only play at medium settings except for water and textures which i have at high. i get about 30 fps, and they game plays and looks great. I wont be upgrading to vista anytime soon, but there will be an 8800gt in my future.

Ok, this is good news for now but I think we all need to realize something. DX10 is new! We've been riding the DX9 bandwagon for so long we completely maxed out it's ability as seen in Crysis. The DX9 version compared to the DX10 version is slightly different, but nowhere devastating enough to force someone to use DX10. With all of this in mind, future games more than likely won't do the same thing. As DX10 becomes more utilized and refined, we'll start to see more and more of a performance gap between DX9 and DX10 (in DX10's favor obviously).

Maybe the best analogy for you guys (since every other thread is about building a pc) is the difference between single and dual/quad cores for gaming. Not a big difference because it wasn't utilized back when multicores hit the market. Well now is coming the time when multiple cores can be utilized in games and are now outperforming the single cores. Single cores = DX9 ; Multi-cores = DX10. That could be horrible but it made sense to me when it popped in my head a minute ago :)

I could be way off but that seems to be the track record of all the DX series from what I remember.

Ok, this is good news for now but I think we all need to realize something. DX10 is new! We've been riding the DX9 bandwagon for so long we completely maxed out it's ability as seen in Crysis. The DX9 version compared to the DX10 version is slightly different, but nowhere devastating enough to force someone to use DX10. With all of this in mind, future games more than likely won't do the same thing. As DX10 becomes more utilized and refined, we'll start to see more and more of a performance gap between DX9 and DX10 (in DX10's favor obviously).

Maybe the best analogy for you guys (since every other thread is about building a pc) is the difference between single and dual/quad cores for gaming. Not a big difference because it wasn't utilized back when multicores hit the market. Well now is coming the time when multiple cores can be utilized in games and are now outperforming the single cores. Single cores = DX9 ; Multi-cores = DX10. That could be horrible but it made sense to me when it popped in my head a minute ago :)

I could be way off but that seems to be the track record of all the DX series from what I remember.

FEAR ran crappy on my athlon 3400. and i had a gig of ram and a 7800gt. But once i upgraded to my opty 165 dual core i got excellent framerates. I dont really think single core is good for any games past 2006. But i am glad that games are actully starting to utlilize 4 cores.

errm people......!!!

1) These settings only render some nice effects in DX9.

2) There is no, and never will be, Dx10 on XP. The so-called "Alky" project is all about emulating DX10 effects on XP, which will cause a HUGE performance hit if done properly and probably be unplayable.

3) The only people who could make Dx10 work properly on XP is Microsoft, and they've already stated it's never going to happen.

4) What is everyone's problem anyway, Vista is a brilliant operating system.

Merkwürdigliebe;1222036 said:
Somewhere a Crytek dev is saying "oops" and Bill Gates is saying "someone's gonna die"

This is unbelievable. This is SUCH bad news for Vista and DX10, good news for us though!! Yes, it's technically not DX10, but this confirms my idea of DX10 as DX9 with more headroom but currently limited by poor Vista optimization. So in essence, DX9 is visually capable of whatever DX10 is capable of.

I'm trying this immediately! Somebody from Crytek is gonna have a lot of explaining to do. There's no way they can restrict us now that we know it's possible. If they do we should and will protest.

Bill Gates will be more like "Some1's getting their salary dropped..." or "Someone's getting fired"

If you've got a rig that can take vista without getting beat down then its great. I like it, and DX10. It'll be nice when its more refined and the Nvidia 9 series comes out but I'm not complaining. Don't get me wrogn I'm all for having dx10 on xp. Isn't like microsoft can't afford it. Even If DX10 hit XP... I'd still run vista. The eye candy is nice, the setup is nice. I find it 10x more user friendly than xp was. My drivers and hardware hate xp. Nothin ever worked off a format and took hours to fix. With vista format I don't even need to touch it. XD That's not a big deal to some people but I format a lot 'cause of the Sheer amounts of crap I DL and Delete. Nice to clean it up every once and a while. Besides if you don't like paying 200$ for it theres easy ways around that.

EDIT~ Oh yeah whats the official verdict on manually enabling multiple cores for crysis. Does it or does it not make any difference at all. I know Crysis is still way ahead of hardware and all that but any performance gain is very welcome. It's also somethign the dev team might fix for final release. Don't know why it'd only run 1 core by default.

If you've got a rig that can take vista without getting beat down then its great. I like it, and DX10. It'll be nice when its more refined and the Nvidia 9 series comes out but I'm not complaining. Don't get me wrogn I'm all for having dx10 on xp. Isn't like microsoft can't afford it. Even If DX10 hit XP... I'd still run vista. The eye candy is nice, the setup is nice. I find it 10x more user friendly than xp was. My drivers and hardware hate xp. Nothin ever worked off a format and took hours to fix. With vista format I don't even need to touch it. XD That's not a big deal to some people but I format a lot 'cause of the Sheer amounts of crap I DL and Delete. Nice to clean it up every once and a while. Besides if you don't like paying 200$ for it theres easy ways around that.
I get it for free through MSDNAA which I get from going to school and I still refuse to use it. It's too bloated and sluggish for my style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom