Would like to learn about linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can properly defragment the Windows partitions and get enough free space at the end, you *should* be able to use QtParted on the Knoppix CD to resize the partition without any data loss.

well then what are some real good book's for a noob like me for linux. and also what would be a good linux Os to buy or download. and what is a redhat 7 ive been hearing that for a while ive beening wondering about it. thank's

m3trj said:
If you want to make partitions

Apparently you did...PENTA boot!?

:amazed:

I couldn't live with having five seperate operating systems to choose from...:p

I had two (Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux), and I got tired of even THAT, and was almost never using Windows, so I wiped the drive and installed Gentoo and only Gentoo.

[/QUOTE]Originally posted by C.Ingram
Linux can be a simple point and click install, configure, and run, depending on what distro you go with.

True, but starting with one of those distros doesn't teach you anything about Linux...sure you can use it and install things alright, but the moment there's a problem, you're stuck not knowing how to approach the issue.

ya me too, one is plenty, although multiple PC's comes in handy

I firmly believe in learning linux the hard way, ive been burned by automated installs and configuration GUI's too many times

the old fashioned way always works, once learned, it works on any of them,even OS X

True, but starting with one of those distros doesn't teach you anything about Linux...sure you can use it and install things alright, but the moment there's a problem, you're stuck not knowing how to approach the issue.

There is plenty of room for flexibility. The friendly tools can be used when you just need to get the job done, and you can look over the files it modified later to review how it made the changes.

qiranworms said:
Apparently you did...PENTA boot!?

Yeah, I have a penta-boot system at the moment but I think I'm gonna get rid of all the other Linuxes and stick with Slackware.

Dark_Sniper* said:
well then what are some real good book's for a noob like me for linux. and also what would be a good linux Os to buy or download. and what is a redhat 7 ive been hearing that for a while ive beening wondering about it. thank's

Books, I don't know. I usually just listen on this forum, and also try to find time to read some of the stuff at www.linux.org.

The way that I started to learn linux was to use a live cd distro. I think it's been said before, but a live cd runs entirely off of the cd. It doesn't touch the hard drive. A couple of examples are Knoppix and PHLAK.

Redhat 7 is a specific distro. Redhat is the company that distributes the Redhad linux os, and Fedora linux os.

By the way, if you decide to start downloading the iso files for linux, I got mine from www.linuxiso.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom