Would like to learn about linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
horndude said:
you wont need drivers for HD,CPU, or optical drives

I dont mean to warn you away from linux, but you are at this point lacking some basic PC knowledge that you will have to have if you want to run linux

Haha. No problem. But what do you think I should learn? I've been trouble-shooting and fixing my computer and my parents computers for years so I'm not new to computers, but I definitely don't know as much as 90% of the people who post on this board. :)

Well, if you found the tutorials youve read at linux.org or anywhere else complex and or confusing, I'd say start there.

A good way to get to learn linux is get yourself a "live" cd, like knoppix for example, they boot up and run in RAM, no installation needed and they wont hurt windows installation.Then do lots and lots of reading and experimenting,linux isnt windows, thats the best way I can put it, its a totally different animal.

Ive been a linux user since just after it came out, Im not an expert, and I will never learn all there is to know, but I have gotten to the point where there isnt too much I cant do with it.It takes time, and unlearning all the bad habits windows teaches takes qute awhile, linux is a whole different way of doing things, same basic principles as any OS, just done differently.Once you learn linux, you can sit down at ANY machine and learn very quickly how to get things done though.

Just a question, when did Linux actually first come out, and what was it like back then? Has it always been able to run on a PC?

Yes its always been PC compatible, thats how and why it got started, linus torvalds and others wanted a free version of unix for the desktop computer.Around 1993 I think, have to check that,I started using it in 1997 or 1998 I think.

It was buggy, real buggy.Hardware support was horrible.The things that worked well, worked very very well.Its only been the last year to year and a half and Ive definitely noticed its ready for regular use and windows is no longer needed, or in my case, even welcome.

People often mention how linux can do anything Windows can, but better (or in better ways).

Can you give some examples? And what makes it important?

patrickc284 said:
People often mention how linux can do anything Windows can, but better (or in better ways).

Can you give some examples? And what makes it important?

Any major, modern operating system will support similar features: users, security, networking, IPC, etc... What an OS can do is better defined by the applications which run on it. That said, if the software exists for Windows, chances are something similar exists for Linux.

Well the biggest difference is linux is a true multiuser OS by default, its just like having a mini version of a mainframe computer on your desk, many many people can log in and use it at the same time, windows cannot.The other thing is, because its multiuser it has the built in protection from users messing up the core of the OS cause they are separated because they have to be, regular users cannot make system changes, which makes it far more stable and less prone to crash.Even if a user screws up, most of the time the rest of the system keeps on running without a problem.

Another advantage although windows 2000 and XP solved some of this to a great extent is multitasking, the linux kernel is better at handling multiple jobs and making sure they all run as fast as possible.

As far as applications, they share most fo them as far as what most users run most of the time, they may be called different names but they do the same things.I'd have to definitely give the edge to linux when it comes to both portability and automating tasks, linux really shines at that.When it comes to doing real work on a PC, things like file conversions,video editing,video rendering, any utilitarian task, linux blows windows away.

Linux is also more complete as far as what it can do right out of the box so to speak, slackware for example comes with all the server apps,desktop apps,utilities,development languages and development tools, stock, right from the install, these things are extra in windows OR a separate windows product.

The tradeoff is knowledge, it isnt all point and click, and its takes some knowlegde to get some things to work and get some things done, in that respect windows is generally better for the average user.Just like OS X by apple is the same way, its set up for the average person who doesnt know squat about PC's and more than likely doesnt want to either.

Linux can be a simple point and click install, configure, and run, depending on what distro you go with.

depends on what you want to do, doesnt take very long before the average linux user has to compile an app from source code, and that isnt point and click at all

Mandrake,Suse, and a few others are pretty automatic install wise, but some of those dont come with much, and they absolutely choke on any out of the ordinary hardware.

horndude said:
depends on what you want to do, doesnt take very long before the average linux user has to compile an app from source code, and that isnt point and click at all

Mandrake,Suse, and a few others are pretty automatic install wise, but some of those dont come with much, and they absolutely choke on any out of the ordinary hardware.

True, but the important thing to remember is that for most day to day operations, Linux can be as simple as anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom