World Cup: 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why no hands call on Brasil's goal number 2? I mean...two different times and no call...but other than that, SWEET score...mad skills.

That was why. The ref was so mesmerized by the play he forgot to call it.

If you watch after the play the ref goes up to him and asks if he hit it with his hand.

JOHANNESBURG – Forget the millionaire superstars from the soccer's biggest teams. It is the tournament referees who are the World Cup's most coddled and protected species.

The sending off of Brazil's Kaka on Sunday night in a 3-1 win over the Ivory Coast was merely the latest in a litany of atrocious decisions by the men in the middle to cast a shadow over the sport's showpiece event.

Kaka was given a second yellow card by French referee Stephane Lannoy when the Ivory Coast's Kader Keita was not looking where he was going and collided heavily with the Brazil midfielder. Kaka merely held his ground for the inevitable contact, and the incident in no way warranted a free kick, let alone a yellow card.

Refs must face the music for bad calls - International Football - Yahoo! Sports

JOHANNESBURG – The referee who disallowed a potential game-winning goal for the U.S. against Slovenia was given a poor rating following an expedited review of his performance Saturday, according to a FIFA source.

FIFA's referee committee reviewed the video of Team USA's 2-2 draw with Slovenia in which Mali referee Koman Coulibaly denied Maurice Edu's 85th-minute strike. Coulibaly appeared to rule that an American attacker had impeded a Slovenian defender, even though video replays showed no definitive infringement.

Source: U.S.-Slovenia ref gets poor rating - International Football - Yahoo! Sports

Unfortunately without instant replay this will continue to be a part of the game.

^saw that last goal. The slovenian defender nearer the goal was LITERALLY holding the usa guy, bear hug style. Yet they don't get penalised for that?! WTF!!!

That was why. The ref was so mesmerized by the play he forgot to call it.

If you watch after the play the ref goes up to him and asks if he hit it with his hand.

Yeah I saw that, and the ref was laughing with him and the player just said No No never!

It just baffles me why Refs don't get to see what really happened. They should have a PDA or even something like an iPad available to them so they can check the replay and make the call, or even someone through an earpiece giving suggestions.

It is a beautiful game but the refereeing is stuck in the 1990's.

For now it's impossible to do that. The FIFA rulebook states that any call made by a referee stands no matter what. So even the referee can't call something back. It's final no matter what. I've been a referee of soccer for a long time so I know all the rules. In order for it to be changed, FIFA would have to take that rule out.

Right, and sometimes when you put in a new rule it means taking out an old one. I'm just sayin it could prove to be useful especially in a World Cup tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom