wireless problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

psydesign

In Runtime
hey guys i have a wireless problem here it is.
i have four pcs running off a wireless router/modem(adsl)
they all work perfectly.
now a few days ago i bought a new laptop with a built in wireless card
so i set the network up on and it says connected it send information but does not recieve anything. pinging gets timed out.
if i set the tcp/ip setting to automatically set the ip address then it says the network has limited or no connectivity.

and ideas?

I would wager that the router has a DHCP pool of 4 addresses, and each is being used, so it has nothing to assign out to the additional host.

Go on one of the 4 PC's and open a command prompt, then enter IPCONFIG /ALL
and post up the following:

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway

Also, are you running any kind of security with this router? Have you verified that all settings on the host laptop are correct?

Last thing, is the router 802.11a, 802.11b or 802.11g, and how about this new host?

ip address : 10.0.0.12
subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
default gateway: 10.0.0.2

if the dhcp only has a pool of 4 address then how would i go about getting a 5th?

That is an unusual address scheme to use... millions of availble addresses in that subnet...

Anyways, enter the default gateway's IP into your internet browser, and it will take you to the router config page. You may need a username / password to access it, depending if you or someone else put one on the router. In the Lan settings, there should be settings for the 'DHCP range', and just make sure that the range is greater than 4. If the range IS greater than 4, I would verify that the wireless standard's on the laptop and router are the same, and that the security settings are correct on the laptop.

ok range is from 10.0.0.4 - 10.0.0.15
all the other pcs are using 802.11bg cards the laptop is also using the same.

ok, basically, we have verified that the problem isn't lack of IP addresses, and standards match. This would suggest to me a software issue somewhere, likely the host, as the 4 other hosts have access to the net.

Have the drivers for the wireless on the laptop been installed? SHOULD be installed outta the box, but perhaps it needs to be re-installed.

Are you using WEP or WPA on the router, or no security at all for wireless hosts?

Lastly, does the laptop have an ethernet port that you can hardwire to the router to see if it can get conectivity that way?

WEP security
yes it does have a etthernet port will try that quick
while i was messing around i found that if i set it so that the asus software manages my wireless it sends and recieves but still no net and i can ping the router.
but if i do the settings through windows it only recieves

If you can ping the router that's a good indication. You might want to try hard wiring it first as ED explains, just to see if it can get online without any software/OS issues.

Make sure to reboot the router, sometimes all it really need is a restart.

Then you can check your wireless connectivity, but first disable all the encryption and security feature you may have in place on the router and leave the connection open just temporarily, until you have the problem resolve and can get connectivity to the Internet. Then you can start adding the security back on one by one, verifying connectivity to the Internet for every step.

Use the ping command to test your connectivity.

1) First ping the default gateway, to see if you have communication with the router/modem

2) ping your DNS server,

3)ping 216.239.51.99 (google's IP)

4)ping www.google.com

Open up a browser and go to www.google.com

Which ever steps in the ping process you are stuck at can reveal a lot and may help point to a solution.

Law said:
If you can ping the router that's a good indication. You might want to try hard wiring it first as ED explains, just to see if it can get online without any software/OS issues.

Make sure to reboot the router, sometimes all it really need is a restart.

Then you can check your wireless connectivity, but first disable all the encryption and security feature you may have in place on the router and leave the connection open just temporarily, until you have the problem resolve and can get connectivity to the Internet. Then you can start adding the security back on one by one, verifying connectivity to the Internet for every step.

Use the ping command to test your connectivity.

1) First ping the default gateway, to see if you have communication with the router/modem

2) ping your DNS server,

3)ping 216.239.51.99 (google's IP)

4)ping www.google.com

Open up a browser and go to www.google.com

Which ever steps in the ping process you are stuck at can reveal a lot and may help point to a solution.
steps 1 - 3 of pinging work 4 and 5 dont

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom