wireless networking ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufreeh

Baseband Member
i have two computers at home and would like to hook them up to each other wirelessly .. my question is what kind of equipment do i need in order to get that up and running .. switches, routers, lan cards etc. and also which brands or models you guys could recommened that are not too pricey but deliver good bang for the buck .. thanx ..

You're going to need 1 wireless router and 2 wireless cards (1 for each computer).

I was just at Target and saw they had a sale on a Wireless router + 4 port switch for $50.

As far as the cards, any of the major brands (3com, Aopen, Gigabyte... etc) should work.

What bla!! said is going to be the easiest method of getting your computers networked. I use a lot of Cisco products.

Price is also going to depend on the speed that you want with your network. You can pick up older 802.11b technology, and save yourself some money.

Edit:

Thanks for catching that Paradox. I don't know where my head was when I wrote Cisco. I meant Linksys.

Cisco products are top quality, but tend to be quite expensive. I'd highly recommend Linksys wireless products, as they provide an excellent balance between quality and price.

Linksys tech support is terrible. I had a problem with my router, so I contacted Linksys, but just because I have a wireless card of another company, they said it was that.

I ended up figuring out how to fix the problem, and of course it was the router. Linksys wouldn't admit it though, they wanted to me buy a linksys wireless card before they would help me with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom