Wireless N routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I have a Wireless N router that I installed on a desktop and I want to connect wireless on a laptop that has a wireless G card that came preinstalled. The problem is if I am right next to the router, the internet will work but if I get like 50 feet away, the signal strength will be real low or it will not find the network at all.

The router is a Linksys WRT150N router. How far should this router send the signal out? If I had to buy another one, would the WRT300N be more powerful than the one I have now? Is there a more powerful one than the WRT300N? I am probably less than 50 feet away from the router going through 2 walls and it will not pick up the signal.

Hvae you gone to the manufacturer's site to see how strong of a signal it sends out? What about line of sight? Do you have a clear shot to the router when you move away from it?

As of right now it is pre-mature to get N Draft routers. As the N WiFi signal is still in draft form. It has not been finalized. There is no guarantee that these routers will work when Draft N gets finalized. So you might have to buy another new router after it does.

Somebody from Linksys told me that it should send out a signal about 100 feet. I know I am way less than that away from the router.

But that still doesnt answer my questions about line of sight and if you have walls or any other objects in your way. WiFi does not have the greatest X-Ray abilities. It can not go thru walls that easily with a low grade router.

I am going through 2 walls but it is a straight shot.

Is the router I have considered a low grade router? If so what are the higher end models?

With most routers, both 'high grade' and 'low grade' the ability of the signal to get through more than one wall is low. (especially if the wall is one of the old brick-and-lead walls)
I'd recommend buying an Access Point, and installing it in an area that can 'see' the router and your laptop (like if you have several rooms branching off a corridor, put it in the corridor)

I have been looking at different routers and wondered is the WRT600N more powerful than the WRT150N? Would it have a greater range? What do the numbers 150 and 600 mean? Is that how far away you can pick up the signal? On this 150N router, even just going through 1 wall not insulated less than 50 feet away, it only picks up three bars.

I would prefer to stay with Linksys but if anybody has any better suggestions, I am listening.

I just don't understand this. Right now I am using a Linksys wireless G with speedbooster and it is in the basement of my house and I am on the third floor and I have no trouble picking up the signal. It is at full strength. That is going through two floors. I would think the Wireless N would be a whole lot stronger. I know that it is still pretty new but I thought they have been out for a while now. How long has Wireless N been out?

BTW, this wireless n router, I am installing it for someone I know.

I have been looking at different routers and wondered is the WRT600N more powerful than the WRT150N? Would it have a greater range? What do the numbers 150 and 600 mean? Is that how far away you can pick up the signal? On this 150N router, even just going through 1 wall not insulated less than 50 feet away, it only picks up three bars.

I would prefer to stay with Linksys but if anybody has any better suggestions, I am listening.

I just don't understand this. Right now I am using a Linksys wireless G with speedbooster and it is in the basement of my house and I am on the third floor and I have no trouble picking up the signal. It is at full strength. That is going through two floors. I would think the Wireless N would be a whole lot stronger. I know that it is still pretty new but I thought they have been out for a while now. How long has Wireless N been out?.

BTW, this wireless n router, I am installing it for someone I know.

Have you performed a site survey of any kind? Locate anything that might also broadcast on the same frequency within range. Microwaves operate on the same band but will VERY often never be a problem unless running on HIGH for over a minute or so. But there again, they could still (once in a while) interfere. Cordless phones that use this frequency will also interrupt a wireless LAN signal. The most common in my opinion are other wireless LAN devices. Look at the available wireless networks from the laptop. Find out all potential available wireless LANs by walking in each room and then refreshing available networks. Take note of each channel that the available network is on. Make sure that you have your wireless gateway/router on, not only, a different channel, but also a channel that is at least 2 channels away from the nearest one. Or, at least, the further that you can get the better.

So, If you see 3 total available networks (besides yours):

Wireless X: Channel 6
Wireless Y: Channel 2
Wireless Z: Channel 10

Then you may want to have that one broadcast on channel 4 or 8. The further you are broadcasting from other channels, the better. The channels are just sub-frequencies from the same 2.4 band. Broadcasting via the same channel (even on the same WLAN) will always pose as a problem.

The 150 and 600 are just model numbers. Just like a Dell Inspirion 1501 or 1701. That is all they are. They do not equal signal strength or anything like that.

So what it tells me is that hte 150N is not that strong. If you only get 3 bares from 50' and thru 1 wall. Simple really.

It isnt that hard. The Wireless G router has more strength. It can send the signal further. Plus G is a final version of the WiFi signal. N is not. There are several Drafts of this WiFi out there. From when Draft N was first introduce to now there have been significant changes to it. That is why i said to wait till it went final cause it will still change till it gets approved. By then your N router might not work.

Tell them to suck it up and get a b/g router for now. Like the on you have. Makes life easier. Sraft N is not that important to have at this time.

The 150 and 600 are just model numbers. Just like a Dell Inspirion 1501 or 1701. That is all they are. They do not equal signal strength or anything like that.

So what it tells me is that hte 150N is not that strong. If you only get 3 bares from 50' and thru 1 wall. Simple really.

It isnt that hard. The Wireless G router has more strength. It can send the signal further. Plus G is a final version of the WiFi signal. N is not. There are several Drafts of this WiFi out there. From when Draft N was first introduce to now there have been significant changes to it. That is why i said to wait till it went final cause it will still change till it gets approved. By then your N router might not work.

Tell them to suck it up and get a b/g router for now. Like the on you have. Makes life easier. Sraft N is not that important to have at this time.

Yea, or that :)
That would be my course of action as well.

Try this...
Offer them an exchange. Buy, and then test, a b/g gateway/router and tell them that if you prove it to work better then you will offer it to them for what you paid for it. Then, take their draft-n away and sell it for them on ebay/craigslist or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom