wireless game adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergio

Solid State Member
I am currently sharing internet with a neighbor, but he is far away from me and I only get around a 40% connection and I disconnect alot. Will a repeater or WAP make a stronger connection over a long distance? Because I want to play Xbox live and I don't have a strong enough connection to just use an ethernet adapter

It will make for a better connection, but It won't guarantee you won't get disconnected. I don't recommend using wireless connection for online gaming, it's not even good if you're right in front of it.

Ok...I know the risks of wireless, but would I have to put the wap or repeater way in my backyard to get the better signal, between me and the router?

Yep right between your computer and the router. You have to configure the wireless router and repeater into point to point brigding. Then provide information like the remote client MAC address, password and so forth on both devices. I never done it before and different manufacter have different setting so I wouldn't be much help there.

Well They are on vacation or something. But their router has absolutely no security. So that way doesn't the repeater just automatically configure with the router? Because I can't just go in their house and screw with their router...

No..the repeater would have to know the MAC address of the wireless router in order to be able to communicate with it. It's like you have to know the phone number of your friend in order to call him =). The easy way is to connect to it's configuration page via internet browser and the MAC address should be there and all other information and configuration seting.

If you can't get to the configuratin page I would use something like ethereal to sniff packets, like disable and enable your wireless NIC and the computer will send a broadcast like "who has 192.168.1.1" and the wireless router would be like "192.168.1.1 is at 00.00.00.00.00.00" which is the MAC address...some shet like that but that's confusing LOL...

Oh alright sounds easy...
I am going to play Xbox Live mostly (halo 2 ^_^ )
And the people have 4 Mb connection.
Will their network be significantly slower If i play xbox live?

Nope, 4megabit connection is enough for gaming. But you can't never get enough..that's why I have a 15megabit connection LOL...

Ok thanks, because I don't want to suck up their bandwidth, but I think they don't do anymore than chat and look at websites anyway.

I am confused about the WAPs. They say they can reach over 1000 feet range. Is that between the WAP and the router, or the computer?

15mb wow...I would think that's more than enough for any person

It's probably an expensive WAP, home with wireless network like a cheap $50 device would go as long as 100 feet to 300 feet. So yea WAP can exceed a long distance but it's usually more expensive one. and the range would be from the wirless router to the WAP in your case. You wouldn't have to worry much between your computer and the WAP since you'll be pretty close to it anways.

And it depends on the envirnoment too, metal objects, water, stuff that I don't remember sometime contribute to lower frequency on the wirless wave so that it usually doesn't exceed it's limit..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom