Wireless dialup???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofrance

Beta member
Hello all,

I have an interesting question for you guys.

I work for a construction company and will be on a jobsite that has a phone connection approx. 250FT from the trailer (where my computer will be). I cannot relocate the phone line to the trailer, so the easiest thing I could think of is a wireless modem device situated in the phone room.

I thought I may be able to use an "RCA wireless modem connection" but someone told me it uses the power outlets to communicate and these two buildings are not on the same power system so that won't work.

I can't set up a computer and use a LAN connection wireless router, so the wireless routers that have only LAN connections in the back will not work.

Is there a wireless router that accepts a regular phone line??? I couldn't find one with a quick check at BEst buy.

I can't use ricochet or any high ghz microwave service becuase the site is located on an airport.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to your input. I'm pulling my hair out thrying to figure this one out.

Ozzie France
Project Engineer
Milender White Construction Co.

what about a cell phone. ive seen software where you plug your phone in via usb and connect with that, that might come in conflict with airport rules though........... just an idea

no, thought of that, but that comes down more in the too expensive category. We have nextel phones and I can't imagine it being very cost effective to use the cell phone status. thanks anyway,

oZ

dial up networking

I have not actually done it but I understand you can set up a point to point or peer to peer network and use the host computers dial up to access the web. You will need two wireless access points (WAP) and one needs to be set as a bridge with that one also using a cat 5 cable set as a cross over. Linksys is probably the easiest to configure, but by the time you get done, you wil be a network wizard.

However; before you try that, if you can find a good WAP with an even better external antenna with as short a cable as possible. Too long a cable will make the signal worse with the antenna than with. Then you might try accessing the connection using the other WAP set as abridge or if the signal is strong enough, you might be able to access using a USB wireless adaptor also set as close to the outside or outside if possible. I have managed to get as far as three thousand feet using two WAPs and one external antenna. .

good luck ds

Wireless Dialup

I think I found a supplier for a wireless dialup solution. They have a wireless modem extender for dialup Internet users:
www.nebowireless.com

Also, according to their web site, they have their product in eBay where 36 out of 36 users to date have positive feedback:
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=nebowireless&item=-1&frompage=222

It sounds like you can go as far as 300 feet wireless from the telephone jack. This might be a good solution for the person that started this thread.

Soundmaster, with my setup it was.
I have dial-up and at one point thought it would be clever to route the dial-up connection via a wireless router. Routing a 56k connection let us do little more than run AIM smoothly. So I scratched that idea rather quickly. :p

Wireless Dialup Slightly Slower...

According to Nebo Wireless FAQ:
http://www.nebowireless.com/faq.html

However, this product certainly won't increase or improve the Internet speed of dialup Internet service. No doubt, If you have slow dialup service now, you will have slow dialup with this product.

If you have reasonable speed on your dialup Internet service, this product can probably provide you a wireless modem extender solution from your telephone jack to about 300 feet to your computer and it is under $50. I noticed Nebo Wireless has a 30 Day Guarantee in their web site that if you are not satisfied with the product, you can ship it back for a refund. Sounds reasonable. I have DSL Internet service so this product isn't for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom