windows xp sp2 problom

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob600

Solid State Member
I Have an issue with my operating system windows xp sp2 i get this message everytime windows starts

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

and i have an OEM copy of windows and cant do a repair installation
anybody have any ideas?

sure you can. A repair instillation just puts back the original files from your disk. You will need to do all of the windows updates. You are just limited to the number of reinstillations to 3 on the same motherboard. Of course you can always make the call to MS and get an extension to that. I have done so many times.

are u sure? its kinda weird i dont get the option to make a repair instalation when booting that cd

becuse its an OEM copy u cant do a repair installation with those

Yes you can. You can do a repair install on any version of Windows XP. Be it Home, Pro or MCE. As long as you have the CD that matches your OS.

Unless when he says 'OEM' he actually means the recovery discs that you have to make with HP/etc computers.

I have used my Dell OEM disk to repair. I think i have....so long since i touched that disk.

If not can always get a OEM XP CD and do a repair install.

I have used my Dell OEM disk to repair. I think i have....so long since i touched that disk.

If not can always get a OEM XP CD and do a repair install.

Dell OEM and recovery discs that you make from the in-Windows wizard are different. The recovery discs reinstall Windows and all the crap they include (same as booting off of the recovery partition they include). It doesn't let you do a repair install or anything like that, as its a pre-configured Windows install wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom